Postal addressDepartment of Circulation and Medical Imaging Norwegian University of Science and Technology Postboks 8905 7491 Trondheim Norway
Tone Frost Bathen
- Tumor markers
- MR spectroscopy
- MR imaging
Background and activities
As head of the The MR Cancer Group, my main research interests are focused towards personalised medicine and studies of functional and metabolic properties of cancer using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS). By developing, optimising and applying advanced MR (in combination with other molecular methods) to characterize cancer, our goal is to establish better diagnostic tools for stratification of patients to treatment and treatment monitoring. Current research activities mainly focus on breast and prostate cancer, enabled by a close collaboration with clinicians at the St. Olavs University Hospital in Trondheim. Although clinical research has high priority, a broad spectrum of systems for cancer studies provides translational research, covering ex vivo as well as in vivo MR imaging and spectroscopy of cancer cells and laboratory animals. We also maintain several large biobanks of human tissue and biofluid samples. The research group is also involved in biomedical research related to cardiac heart disease, preeclampsia and testing of new contrast agents.
Publications registered in Pubmed:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Metabolomic Biomarkers in Serum and Urine in Women with Preeclampsia. PLoS ONE. volum 9 (3).
- (2014) Impacts of MR spectroscopic imaging on glioma patient management. Acta Oncologica.
- (2014) In vivo 31P MRSI for metabolic profiling of human breast cancer xenografts. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- (2014) Interplay of choline metabolites and genes in patient-derived breast cancer xenografts. Breast Cancer Research. volum 16 (1).
- (2013) Changes in Levels of Metabolomic Biomarkers in Serum and Urine in Women with Preeclampsia. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. volum 26 (1).
- (2013) Metabolomic biomarkers in serum and urine of preeclamptic women. Pregnancy Hypertension. volum 3 (2).
- (2013) Feasibility of MR Metabolomics for Immediate Analysis of Resection Margins during Breast Cancer Surgery. PLoS ONE. volum 8 (4).
- (2013) Quantitative 31P HR-MAS MR spectroscopy for detection of response to PI3K/mTOR inhibition in breast cancer xenografts. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine.
- (2013) 2-hydroxyglutarate as a magnetic resonance biomarker for glioma subtyping. Translational Oncology. volum 6 (2).
- (2013) Spermine and Citrate as Metabolic Biomarkers for Assessing Prostate Cancer Aggressiveness. PLoS ONE. volum 8 (4).
- (2013) Metabolic changes in psoriatic skin under topical corticosteroid treatment. BMC Dermatology. volum 13.
- (2013) Metabolic profiles of brain metastases. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. volum 14 (1).
- (2013) Differentiating diffuse World Health Organization grade II and IV astrocytomas with ex vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Neurosurgery. volum 72 (2).
- (2013) Proton magnetic resonance metabolomic characterization of ovarian serous carcinoma effusions: chemotherapy-related effects and comparison with malignant mesothelioma and breast carcinoma. Human Pathology. volum 44 (9).
- (2012) Serum Levels of Choline-Containing Compounds Are Associated with Aerobic Fitness Level: The HUNT-Study. PLoS ONE. volum 7 (7).
- (2012) Prognostic value of metabolic response in breast cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy. BMC Cancer. volum 12.
- (2012) Predicting long-term survival and treatment response in breast cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy by MR metabolic profiling. NMR in Biomedicine. volum 25 (2).
- (2012) Lactate and glycine-potential MR biomarkers of prognosis in estrogen receptor-positive breast cancers. NMR in Biomedicine. volum 25 (11).
- (2012) In vivo MRI and histopathological assessment of tumor microenvironment in luminal-like and basal-like breast cancer xenografts. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. volum 35 (5).
- (2012) Glycerophosphocholine (GPC) is a poorly understood biomarker in breast cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. volum 109 (38).
- (2011) In vivo MRS of locally advanced breast cancer: characteristics related to negative or positive choline detection and early monitoring of treatment response. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. volum 24 (6).
- (2011) Monitoring Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer Patients: Improved MR Assessment at 3 T?. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. volum 34 (3).
- (2011) Diffusion-Weighted and Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI in Evaluation of Early Treatment Effects During Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer Patients. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. volum 34 (5).
- (2011) HR MAS MR Spectroscopy in Metabolic Characterization of Cancer. Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry. volum 11 (1).
- (2010) Magnetic Resonance Metabolomics of Intact Tissue: A Biotechnological Tool in Cancer Diagnostics and Treatment Evaluation. Cancer Research. volum 70 (17).
- (2010) Merging transcriptomics and metabolomics - advances in breast cancer profiling. BMC Cancer. volum 10.
- (2010) Alignment of high resolution magic angle spinning magnetic resonance spectra using warping methods. Analytica Chimica Acta. volum 683 (1).
- (2010) Multivariate modeling and prediction of breast cancer prognostic factors using MR metabolomics. Journal of Proteome Research. volum 9 (2).
- (2010) Prognostic value of pretreatment dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging in breast cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy: Overall survival predicted from combined time course and volume analysis. Acta Radiologica. volum 51 (6).
- (2010) Monitoring the Effect of Docetaxel Treatment in MCF7 Xenografts Using Multimodal In Vivo and Ex Vivo Magnetic Resonance Methods, Histopathology and Gene Expression. Translational Oncology. volum 3 (4).
- (2010) Assessment of early docetaxel response in an experimental model of human breast cancer using DCE-MRI, ex vivo HR MAS, and in vivo 1H MRS. NMR in Biomedicine. volum 23 (1).
- (2010) Quantification of metabolites in breast cancer patients with different clinical prognosis using HR MAS MR spectroscopy. NMR in Biomedicine. volum 23 (4).
- (2010) Discrimination of Patients with Microsatellite Instability Colon Cancer using H-1 HR MAS MR Spectroscopy and Chemometric Analysis. Journal of Proteome Research. volum 9 (7).
- (2009) Combining clinical assessment scores and in vivo MR spectroscopy neurometabolites in very low birth weight adolescents. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine. volum 47 (2).
- (2009) Predicting Survival and Early Clinical Response to Primary Chemotherapy for Patients With Locally Advanced Breast Cancer Using DCE-MRI. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. volum 29 (6).
- (2009) High-resolution MAS MRS of breast cancer biopsies - different approaches. European Radiology. volum 19.
- (2009) High-resolution magic angle spinning (HR MAS) MR spectroscopy in metabolic characterization of human cancer. Progress in nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. volum 54 (3-4).
- (2008) Omega-3 Fatty Acids Supress Growth of SW620 Human Colon Cancer Xenografts in Nude Mice. Anticancer Research. volum 28 (6A).
- (2008) Principal component analysis for the comparison of metabolic profiles from human rectal cancer biopsies and colorectal xenografts using high-resolution magic angle spinning 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Molecular Cancer. volum 7.
- (2008) Characterization of brain metastases using high-resolution magic angle spinning MRS. NMR in Biomedicine. volum 21.