Background and activities
Tor Einar Fagerland is Head of Department and Associate Professor in history at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He received his PhD in Medieval History at NTNU in 2006 and has taught Medieval History at all levels. In 2003 he was among the initiators of the NTNU interdisciplinary study programme in Cultural Heritage Management – a programme he led in the period 2009-2013, and where he teaches courses in Memory Studies and Heritage Management. Fagerland has also taught classes in Memory Studies and Heritage Studies at The Institute for Social and European Studies, Köszeg Hungary (2009-2011). He has given guest lectures at Massachusetts University, Amherst; at Indiana University; and at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York City.
Since 2005, Fagerland has combined his training as a historian with theories, methods and research topics from the interdisciplinary fields of Memory Studies and Cultural Heritage Studies. Since 2012, he leads the research project July 22 and the Negotiation of Memory (https://www.ntnu.no/july22memory).Recent publications include «Følgeforskning og minneprosesser på Utøya 2013-2014» (2016), «July 22 and the negotiation of memory in Norwegian society 2011-2014» (2016) and «Remembering traumatic pasts – Movements in the memorial landscape of Norway» (with Ingeborg Hjorth, 2016). In 2015 Fagerland was Chief Curator and Project Manager for the 22 July Centre in Oslo (http://www.22julisenteret.no/) In 2016 Fagerland and Atle Aas created the historic exhibition in Hegnhuset – a memorial and learning centre at Utøya, Norway. Fagerland has served as Special Advisor for the Norwegian Labour Youth League (AUF). He is currently a Special Advisor for the 22 July Centre and the Norwegian Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation.
In 1997-1998 Fagerland was Head of Cultural Management and Museum Services in Meløy Municipality. He has acted as Special Advisor in Commemoration of painful Heritage (Stiklestad Nasjonale Kultursenter, 2006-2007; 2011-2012); as Exhibition Advisor for the exhibition «The Enemy Within. Treason during World War II» (The Falstad Memorial and Human Right Centre, 2011); and as an advisor for the National Directorate for Cultural Heritage on new guidelines for legal protection of Cultural Heritage. In 2012 he was appointed board member of ICOMOS Norway (the National Branch of the International Council on Monuments and Sites).
Head of Department, Department of Historical Studies, NTNU, 2013-
Head of Program for Cultural Heritage Management, Department of Historical and Classical Studies, NTNU, 2009-2013
Associate Professor in History, Department of Historical and Classical Studies, NTNU, 2008-
Postdoctor, Department of Historical and Classical Studies, NTNU, 2006-2008
PhD, Department of Historical and Classical Studies, NTNU, 1999-2004
Exhibition Adviser, Faros, Interdisciplinary Centre, NTNU, 2004-2005
Head of Museum and the Management of Cultural Heritage, Meløy Municipality,1997-1999
Researcher, The National Military Museum Oslo, 2001-2002
Stiklestad Nasjonale Kultursenter, Special Advisor in Commemoration of painful Heritage 2006-2007 / 2011-2012
Selected Conference Papers:
“The terror on July 22 and the Stages of Memory in Norway´s Memorial Landscape” Lund University 2012.
”The terrorist attacks of 22 July 2011 and the stages of Memory in the Norwegian Memorial Landscape: A preliminary sketch”, Gothenburg University 2012.
“From Bitburg to the Holocaust Memorial. Public memory in Berlin after reunification”, Freie Universität Berlin 2011.
“A place of Contested Memory: the Norwegian Fascist Monument at Stiklestad 1944-2011”, Freie Universität Berlin 2011.
“Painful Memories. An international perspective”, Vardø, Steilneset Memorial, 2011.
”Stiklestad 1030-2008: A place of contested identity. The Local and the Global - Practices and Politics of Memory”, Luxembourg University 2010.
“Cultural Heritage: A resource for dialogue, learning, reconciliation and progress in Today's Europe?”, ISES, Köszeg 2010.
“The Parthenon Marbles”, The Norwegian Institute Athens 2010.
“The Parthenon Marbles and the New Acropolis Museum”, Manchester University 2010.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2008) Kulturarv i spenningsfeltet mellom før og nå. Heimen. vol. 45 (4).
- (2011) 1537 - Kontinuitet eller brudd?. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2011. ISBN 978-82-519-2773-4.
- (2002) Krig og diplomati i nordisk middelalder. 2002. ISBN 82-91218-29-3. Forsvarsmuseets småskrift (29).
Part of book/report
- (2016) Følgeforskning og minneprosesser på Utøya 2013-2014. De berørte etter 22. juli. Forskningsetiske perspektiver.
- (2016) July 22 and the negotiation of memory in Norwegian society 2011-2014. Heritage, Democracy and the Public. Nordic Approaches.
- (2016) From Patriotic to Transnational Memory - Reflections on the Memorial Landscape of Norway ca. 1990-2014. Heritage, Democracy and the Public. Nordic Approaches.
- (2014) Between Patriotism and Univeralism: Norwegian World War II Monuments and Memorials 1990-2014 from a Transnational Perspective. From Patriotic Memory to a Universalistic Narrative?.
- (2014) Haraldsstøtta: En utdatert rekvisitt eller et potensielt møtested for kunnskap og dialog?. Haraldsstøtta - Monument og minne.
- (2014) Monuments and painful history: Steileneset Memorial. An international perspective. Steilneset Memorial. Art Architecture History.
- (2011) 1289-1295 Sjøkrig i danske farvann. Norges Kriger - Fra Hafsfjord til Afghanistan.
- (2011) 1304-1310 Krigføring og allianser i Norden. Norges Kriger - Fra Hafsfjord til Afghanistan.
- (2011) Fra monument til miljø: Norsk kulturminnevern 1844-2010. 1537 - Kontinuitet eller brudd?.
- (2011) The Norwegian Fascist Monument at Stiklestad 1944-45. Historicizing the Uses of the Past: Scandinavian Perspectives on History Culture, Historical Consciousness and Didactics of History Related to World War II.
- (2007) Nordisk og europeisk føydalisme i lys av nyere forskningsdebatt. En sann historiker. Festskrift til Svein Henrik Pedersen.
- (2006) NS-bautaen på Stiklestad i et europeisk perspektiv. Stiklestad og andre minnesteder. Foredrag i 2004 og 2005.
- (2006) Krigføring og politisk kultur i nordisk middelalder. De mellomnordiske konfliktene 1286-1319 i et europeisk perspektiv. 2006. ISBN 82-7765056-6.