Background and activities
Background. Welo holds a MSc. and a Ph.D. within plastic bending behavior of aluminum alloy structures from NTH, Department of Structural Engineering. His working experience includes Sintef Production Engineering, Sintef Materials Technology, Hydro Automotive Structures in both US and EU, the latter in combination with an adjunct professorship at Department of Engineering Design and Materials (IPM), NTNU. Since 2007 he has been full time professor within Design and Manufacturing at IPM. Over the past two decades, Welo has experience from different roles in boards, committees, task groups and associations, mainly in metal forming, automotive and aluminum industries.
Research Fields. Metal forming in general - bending of aluminum profiles and related technology development in particular - are the most central research areas. His research fields also includes product development; particularly Lean Product Development, focusing on the process of generating and generalizing knowledge that can be used (and reused) by product developers to create a recipe to produce an attractive product with maximum customer value (i.e. benefit-to-cost ratio). The (inter)relationship between design, function and manufacturability are important issues in lean product development.
Entrepreneurship – Innovation. Welo has been central in developing models and tools for designing metal forming dies (dimensional stability), as well as new forming technologies (methods) (3D bending/forming, stretch forming, mechanical calibration, adaptive bending, etc.). He has also been heading and coaching product development teams developing light weight solutions in the automotive industry, including aluminum space frames, subframes, cockpit frames, engine cradles, seat frames, seat tracks, bump and front end structures, crush cans, etc. for a number of European and US car models and platforms.
Publications. Most open publications are within metal forming problems related to aluminum, including extrusion, hot and cold forming, calibration and bending. Many of these are available in data bases such as Frida, ScienceDirect, etc.
Teaching – Courses.
TMM4500 -TMM4 In-depth course, Analysis of Metal Forming Processes (fall
TMM4505 In-depth course (fall)
TMM4112 Design of Machine Elements (spring)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Local strain energy density to assess the multiaxial fatigue strength of titanium alloys. Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale. vol. 10 (37).
- (2016) Leveraging prototypes to generate value in the concept-to-production process: a qualitative study of the automotive industry. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 54 (10).
- (2016) Prototyping in new product development: Strategy considerations. Procedia CIRP. vol. 50.
- (2016) Learning in Product Development: Proposed Industry Experiment Using Reflective Prototyping. Procedia CIRP. vol. 50.
- (2016) Microstructure Texture Prediction in Machining Processes. Procedia CIRP. vol. 46.
- (2016) Development of Manufacturing Sustainability Assessment Using Systems Thinking. Sustainability. vol. 8 (1).
- (2016) FE simulation of soft wing impactor for aviation mast frangibility testing – sensitivity to model assumptions. International Journal of Crashworthiness. vol. 21 (5).
- (2016) On the use of product portfolio and variant maps as visualization tools to support platform-based development strategies. Concurrent Engineering - Research and Applications. vol. 24 (3).
- (2016) Beyond Waste Elimination: Assessing Lean Practices in Product Development. Procedia CIRP. vol. 50.
- (2015) Environmental assessment of solid state recycling routes for aluminium alloys: Can solid state processes significantly reduce the environmental impact of aluminium recycling?. CIRP annals. vol. 64 (1).
- (2015) On the use of directional and incremental prototyping in the development of high novelty products: Two case studies in the automotive industry. Journal of engineering and technology management. vol. 38.
- (2015) Prediction of residual stress regeneration in multi-pass milling. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 83 (5).
- (2015) On the Applicability of Sustainability Assessment Tools in Manufacturing. Procedia CIRP. vol. 29.
- (2015) Design for automated assembly of large and complex products: Experiences from a marine company operating in Norway. Procedia Computer Science. vol. 44 (C).
- (2015) Predicting tube ovalization in cold bending: An analytical approach. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 651-653.
- (2015) Investigating lean development practices in SE companies: A comparative study between sectors. Procedia Computer Science. vol. 44.
- (2014) Considering BPR and CE for faster product delivery: a case study in manufacturing firms. International Journal of Productivity and Quality Management. vol. 13 (3).
- (2014) Approaching lean product development using system dynamics: investigating front-load effects. Advances in Manufacturing. vol. 2 (2).
- (2014) The role of early prototypes in concept development: insights from the automotive industry. Procedia CIRP. vol. 21.
- (2014) EMS and sustainability: experiences with ISO 14001 and Eco-Lighthouse in Norwegian metal processing SMEs. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 64.