Background and activities
Background. Welo holds a MSc. and a Ph.D. within plastic bending behavior of aluminum alloy structures from NTH, Department of Structural Engineering. His working experience includes Sintef Production Engineering, Sintef Materials Technology, Hydro Automotive Structures in both US and EU, the latter in combination with an adjunct professorship at Department of Engineering Design and Materials (IPM), NTNU. Since 2007 he has been full time professor within Design and Manufacturing at IPM. Over the past two decades, Welo has experience from different roles in boards, committees, task groups and associations, mainly in metal forming, automotive and aluminum industries.
Research Fields. Metal forming in general - bending of aluminum profiles and related technology development in particular - are the most central research areas. His research fields also includes product development; particularly Lean Product Development, focusing on the process of generating and generalizing knowledge that can be used (and reused) by product developers to create a recipe to produce an attractive product with maximum customer value (i.e. benefit-to-cost ratio). The (inter)relationship between design, function and manufacturability are important issues in lean product development.
Entrepreneurship – Innovation. Welo has been central in developing models and tools for designing metal forming dies (dimensional stability), as well as new forming technologies (methods) (3D bending/forming, stretch forming, mechanical calibration, adaptive bending, etc.). He has also been heading and coaching product development teams developing light weight solutions in the automotive industry, including aluminum space frames, subframes, cockpit frames, engine cradles, seat frames, seat tracks, bump and front end structures, crush cans, etc. for a number of European and US car models and platforms.
Publications. Most open publications are within metal forming problems related to aluminum, including extrusion, hot and cold forming, calibration and bending. Many of these are available in data bases such as Frida, ScienceDirect, etc.
Teaching – Courses.
TMM4500 -TMM4 In-depth course, Analysis of Metal Forming Processes (fall
TMM4505 In-depth course (fall)
TMM4112 Design of Machine Elements (spring)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Surface Friction of Rapidly Prototyped Wheels from 3D-Printed Thermoplastic Elastomers: An Experimental Study. Procedia CIRP. vol. 60.
- (2017) Analytical Modeling of Residual Stress in Additive Manufacturing. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures. vol. 40 (6).
- (2017) A physics-based approach to relate grinding process parameters to tribological behavior of ground surfaces. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2017) Design of a Modular Extrusion-based Aluminum Monorail System for Highly Accurate Car Positioning. Procedia CIRP. vol. 60.
- (2017) Prototype Experiments: Strategies and Trade-offs. Procedia CIRP. vol. 60.
- (2016) Modelling and fatigue assessment of steel rollers with failure occurring at the weld root based on the local strain energy. Procedia Structural Engineering. vol. 2.
- (2016) Local strain energy density to assess the multiaxial fatigue strength of titanium alloys. Frattura ed Integrità Strutturale. vol. 10 (37).
- (2016) Leveraging prototypes to generate value in the concept-to-production process: a qualitative study of the automotive industry. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 54 (10).
- (2016) Prototyping in new product development: Strategy considerations. Procedia CIRP. vol. 50.
- (2016) Learning in Product Development: Proposed Industry Experiment Using Reflective Prototyping. Procedia CIRP. vol. 50.
- (2016) Prototyping to Leverage Learning in Product Manufacturing Environments. Procedia CIRP. vol. 54.
- (2016) Evaluation of undesirable deformations in complex, hollow aluminium extrusions due to roll bending. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 1769 (1).
- (2016) Analysis of residual stress-induced distortions of thin sheet structures in multi-step milling. AIP Conference Proceedings. vol. 1769.
- (2016) Microstructure Texture Prediction in Machining Processes. Procedia CIRP. vol. 46.
- (2016) A framework for integrating reliability and systems engineering: proof-of-concept experiences. INCOSE International Symposium. vol. 26 (1).
- (2016) Development of Manufacturing Sustainability Assessment Using Systems Thinking. Sustainability. vol. 8 (1).
- (2016) Learning and Knowledge Systems in Product Development Environments. Procedia CIRP. vol. 57.
- (2016) FE simulation of soft wing impactor for aviation mast frangibility testing – sensitivity to model assumptions. International Journal of Crashworthiness. vol. 21 (5).
- (2016) Bridging the Gap Between High and Low-Volume Production through Enhancement of Integrative Capabilities. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 5.
- (2016) Enhancing Integrative Capabilities through Lean Product and Process Development. Procedia CIRP. vol. 54.