Postal addressDepartment of Psychology Norwegian University of Science and Technology 7491 Trondheim Norway
Background and activities
I am Professor of Community Psychology at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (since 1999) and have a part time position as Senior Research Scientist at NTNU Social Research. I have also been Professor of Work and Organisational Psychology (1998-1999) and I was Senior Lecturer (førsteamanuensis) in Social Psychology (1992-1993) and a Senior Lecturer (førsteamanuensis) in Health Psychology (1993-1998) at NTNU. I have an undergraduate degree in sociology and political science (cand.mag.) (1982) and a graduate degree in psychology (cand.psychol.) from the University of Bergen (1983) and I am a chartered psychologist. I have a doctoral degree (dr.philos.) from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (1993) and I am also a philosopy doctor of honour (fil.dr. h.c.) at Stockholm School of Economics (2005) (for my research in risk and safety). I am an Appointed Member of The Academy of The Royal Norwegian Society of Science and Letters (DKNVS) (since 2005) and am also at present Chair of the Psychology and Educational Science Group of DKNVS. I am a Member of the Editorial Boards of four scientific journals: Journal of Risk Research.(Routledge, Taylor & Francis Publ.), Safety Science (Elsevier Publ.), Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour (Elsevier Publ.), and International Journal of Quality, Statistics, and Reliability (Hindawi Publ.) Bibliografical notes include 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21th Century 2007, 2009; Man of the Year 2007; Who's Who in the World, 2008, 2009, 2010; Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare 2006-2007; and International Health Professional of the Year 2007. My research i interests are within the areas of risk and safety in transport and industry, organisation and safety, safety culture and climate, and evaluation of community psychology health promotion measures.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Crime: The amount and disparity of sentencing – A comparison of corporate and occupational white collar criminals. International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice.
- (2014) Transport priorities, risk perception and worry associated with mode use and preferences among Norwegian commuters. Accident Analysis and Prevention. volum 72.
- (2014) Culture related to road traffic safety: A comparison of eight countries using two conceptualizations of culture. Accident Analysis and Prevention. volum 62.
- (2014) Road traffic culture and personality traits related to traffic safety in Turkish and Iranian samples. Safety Science. volum 66.
- (2013) Road traffic safety beliefs and driver behaviour among personality subtypes of drivers in the Norwegian population. Traffic Injury Prevention.
- (2013) The Role of Media in France and Norway in the genesis of perceived Risk: A comparative study. Securitas Vialis. Springer Group. volum 16.
- (2013) Transport mode preferences, risk perception and worry in a Norwegian urban population. Accident Analysis and Prevention. volum 50.
- (2013) Predictors of demand for risk mitigation in transport. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. volum 20.
- (2013) Objective and Perceived Risk Estimates of Travel Modes in the Norwegian Public. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment. volum 19 (6).
- (2013) Risk perceptions, fatalism and driver behaviors in Turkey and Iran. Safety Science. volum 59.
- (2013) Attitudinal and motivational aspects of aberrant driving in a West African country. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. volum 50 (5).
- (2012) Changes in Norwegian drivers’ attitudes towards traffic safety and driver behaviour from 2000 to 2008. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. volum 15 (2).
- (2012) Differences in attitudes towards traffic safety and driving behaviour in the native and immigrant population in Norway. International Journal of Psychology. volum 47.
- (2012) Associations between risk judgments and demand for transport risk mitigation. Journal of Risk Research. volum 15 (9).
- (2012) Cultural and Socio-Demographic Predictors of Car Accident Involvement in Norway, Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda. Safety Science. volum 50 (9).
- (2012) Safety attitudes, behaviour, anxiety and perceived control among professional and non-professional drivers. Journal of Risk Research. volum 15 (8).
- (2012) A comparison of road traffic culture, risk assessment and speeding predictors between Norway and Turkey. Risk Management: An International Journal. volum 14 (3).
- (2012) Risk perception, transportation priorities and travel mode use in the urban Norwegian public. International Journal of Psychology. volum 47.
- (2012) Intrapsychological empowerment and cultural adherence in Norwegian and Palestinian adolescents. International Journal of Psychology. volum 47.
- (2012) Traffic culture as symbol exchange – A cross-country comparison of Russia and Norway. Safety Science. volum 50 (5).