Turid Suzanne Berg-NielsenProfessor II Regional Centre for Child and Youth Mental Health and Child Welfare Department of Mental Health Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Background and activities
- Mental health of preschool children
- Antecedents to development of pscyhosocial problems in children
- Parent-child interaction
- Attachment styles in children
- Videobased parent interventions
Current research studies:
- "The Early Secure in Trondheim" - study. A longitudinal study of early detection and prevention of psychosocial disorders among preschoolers in the community. Partners: Professor Lars Wichstrøm, NTNU; Professor Jay Belsky, University of California, Davis.
- "Laughter, tears and nappies" A randomized control trial of videobased parent intervention with vulnerable infants and toddlers. Partners MD Magnhild S. Høivik, NTNU and leader of unit Marit Bergum Hansen, RBUP Oslo.
- Too much too soon?" A multi-informant, prospective study of predictors, moderators and effects of enduring day care stress on young children's mental health. Partenrs: Professor May Britt Drugli, NTNU; Associate professor Vibeke Moe, RBUP Oslo and University of Oslo; Professor Lieselotte Ahnert, Universität Wien; and Professor Jay Belsky, University of California.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) What do parents know about their children's comprehension of emotions? Accuracy of parental estimates in a community sample of pre-schoolers. Child Care Health and Development. vol. 40 (3).
- (2013) The Mother and Baby Interaction Scale: a valid broadband instrument for efficient screening of postpartum interaction? A preliminary validation in a Norwegian community sample. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences. vol. 27 (3).
- (2013) Do Time in Child Care and Peer Group Exposure Predict Poor Socioemotional Adjustment in Norway?. Child Development. vol. 84 (5).
- (2013) Detecting Psychiatric Disorders in Preschoolers: Screening With the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. vol. 52 (7).
- (2012) Preschoolers' psychosocial problems: In the eyes of the beholder? Adding teacher characteristics as determinants of discrepant parent-teacher reports. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. vol. 43 (3).
- (2012) The mental health of preschoolers in a Norwegian population-based study when their parents have symptoms of borderline, antisocial, and narcissitic personality disorders: at the mercy of unpredictability. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health. vol. 6.
- (2012) Smoking during pregnancy and psychiatric disorders in preschoolers. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. vol. 21 (11).
- (2012) Change in self-reported emotional distress and parenting among parents referred to inpatient child psychiatric family treatment. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 66 (4).
- (2012) The three dimensions of the Student-Teacher Relationship Scale: CFA validation in a preschool sample. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment. vol. 30 (3).
- (2012) Prevalence of psychiatric disorders in preschoolers. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines. vol. 53 (6).
- (2011) Group and Individual Stability of Three Parenting Dimensions. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health. vol. 5 (19).
- (2009) Kompetanseutvikling i barnevernet Kvalifisering til arbeid i barnevernet gjennom praksisnær og forskningsbasert utdanning. NOU - Norges offentlige utredninger.
- (2003) From clinical towards research interview: Parenting problems with troubled adolescents. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. vol. 44 (4).
- (2003) Specific parenting problems related to adolescents' emotional and behavioral problems. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 57 (2).
- (2002) Parenting related to child and parental psychopathology: A descriptive review of the literature. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry. vol. 7 (4).
- (1998) Gode nok foreldre? Klinisk vurdering av foreldrefungering. Medicinsk årbog varianttittel: Medisinsk årbok.
- (1992) Evaluering av vedvarende voldelige personer med psykiatriske symptomer. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 112 (28).
Part of book/report
- (2010) Barn av foreldre med Cluster B personlighetsforstyrrelser. Prisgitt det uberegnelige. Håndbok i sped- og småbarns psykiske helse.
- (2010) Følsom, formbar og uferdig. Epigenetikk, utvikling av hjernen og stressbarhet. Sårbare unge : Nye perspektiver og tilnærminger.
- (1998) Barneoppdragelsens betydning for barns utvikling. Barn og Miljø. Om barns oppvekstvilkår i det senmoderne sam funn.