Short biography Max 160 characters [0/160]
At present her research is carried out using a wide range of advanced analytical methods with application to both preclinical and basic research. The main focus of her group is to study glial neuronal interactions in neurodegenerative diseases, especially Alzheimer’s dementia and epilepsy. Our main tools are 13C-and 1H- Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, mass spectrometry and HPLC. The low natural abundance of 13C (1.1%) is an advantage in that 13C-enriched precursors can be used for metabolic pathway mapping with little or no background interference from endogenous metabolites. Using animal models of human disease and injection of 13C labeled substrates such as [1-13C]glucose information about metabolic deficiencies can be discovered and new treatment can de designed. She has successfully supervised 19 PhD and 21 master students. Published full scientific papers: 186; citations 2515.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts.
- (2013) Mislocalization of AQP4 precedes chronic seizures in the kainate model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Research. volum 105 (1-2).
- (2013) [1,6-C-13] glucose metabolism in immature and in differentiated oligodendrocytes in vitro. Glia. volum 61.
- (2013) Pyruvate carboxylation in astrocytes and the pentose phosphate pathway are affected after neonatatal hypoxic brain injury - a C-13 NMR spectroscopic study. Glia. volum 61.
- (2013) The pentose phosphate pathway in the neonatal brain. Journal of Neurochemistry. volum 125.
- (2013) Impairment of glial-neuronal interaction in GLT-1 knockout mice: an NMR spectroscopy study. Journal of Neurochemistry. volum 125.
- (2013) Glucose and acetate metabolism and glutamate-glutamine cycle in postnatal brain development. Journal of Neurochemistry. volum 125.
- (2013) Glutamate metabolism is impaired in transgenic mice with tau hyperphosphorylation. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. volum 33 (5).
- (2013) Mitochondrial metabolic dysfunction and glutamate reduction in the pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsy in mice. Journal of Neurochemistry. volum 125.
- (2013) THE ANTICONVULSANT TRIHEPTANOIN SHOWS ANAPLEROTIC ACTIVITY IN THE PILOCARPINE MODEL OF TEMPORAL LOBE EPILEPSY IN MICE. Epilepsia. volum 54.
- (2013) Brain mitochondrial metabolic dysfunction and glutamate level reduction in the pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsy in mice. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism.
- (2012) Triheptanoin-A medium chain triglyceride with odd chain fatty acids: A new anaplerotic anticonvulsant treatment?. Epilepsy Research. volum 100 (3).
- (2012) Direct measurement of backflux between oxaloacetate and fumarate following pyruvate carboxylation. Glia. volum 60 (1).
- (2012) Quantitative importance of the pentose phosphate pathway determined by incorporation of C-13 from [2-C-13]- and [3-C-13]glucose into TCA cycle intermediates and neurotransmitter amino acids in functionally intact neurons. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. volum 32 (9).
- (2012) 649.08. Early gender differences in dorsal hippocampal metabolite levels in a transgenic rat model of Alzheimer’s disease. SFN Abstract Viewer/Itinerary Planner.
- (2012) Altered neurochemical profile in the McGill-R-Thy1-APP rat model of Alzheimer's disease: a longitudinal in vivo 1H MRS study. Journal of Neurochemistry. volum 123 (4).
- (2012) Chronic acetyl-L-carnitine alters brain energy metabolism and increases noradrenaline and serotonin content in healthy mice. Neurochemistry International. volum 61 (1).
- (2012) Dietary supplementation with acetyl-L-carnitine in seizure treatment of pentylenetetrazole kindled mice. Neurochemistry International. volum 61 (4).
- (2011) Reduced astrocytic contribution to the turnover of glutamate, glutamine, and GABA characterizes the latent phase in the kainate model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. volum 31 (8).
- (2011) Estimation of Intracellular Fluxes in Cerebellar Neurons After Hypoglycemia: Importance of the Pyruvate Recycling Pathway and Glutamine Oxidation. Journal of Neuroscience Research. volum 89 (5).
- (2011) A comprehensive metabolic profile of cultured astrocytes using isotopic transient metabolic flux analysis and 13C-labeled glucose. Frontiers in Neuroenergetics. volum 3 (5).