Background and activities
I'm a PhD candidate (started mid-2013) at the Computer Architecture and Design (CARD) group, under the supervision of Magnus Jahre. Between Feb - Jul 2016 I will be on leave from NTNU at Xilinx Research Labs Ireland.
- PhD (Computer Architecture), NTNU, 2013 - present
- MSc (European Master in Embedded Computing Systems), NTNU (Norway) and University of Southampton (UK), 2011 - 2013
- BSc (Computer Engineering), Middle East Technical University (Turkey), 2006 - 2011
My academic interests are heterogeneous architectures, energy efficiency via application- or domain-specific accelerators. My current research focus is accelerating irregular applications using reconfigurable logic to achieve high performance and energy efficiency. I also work with the SHMAC (Single-ISA Heterogeneous Manycore Computer) project as part of the EECS (Energy Efficient Computing Systems) strategic research area.
I am also interested in ease-of-programmability for heterogeneous architectures, programming models an abstractions for accelerating algorithms, system software and energy-efficient embedded systems.
A list of my publications can be found below, or in my Google Scholar profile. Additionally, the following papers are in press:
- Yaman Umuroglu and Magnus Jahre, "Random Access Schemes for Efficient FPGA SpMV Acceleration", to appear in Microprocessors and Microsystems
Teaching and Supervision
I am a teaching assistant for the following courses:
I have also supervised or co-supervised the following MSc theses:
- Turbo Amber: A high-performance processor core for the SHMAC, Andres T. Akre and Sebastian Bøe, 2014
- Hardware Acceleration of Convolutional Neural Networks, Magnus Halvorsen, 2015
- Bitcoin Mining on SHMAC, Kristian K. Skordal and Torbjørn Langland, 2015
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Tre måneder på å gjøre det umulige. Gemini.
Part of book/report
- (2015) A Vector Caching Scheme for Streaming FPGA SpMV Accelerators. Applied Reconfigurable Computing.
- (2015) Hybrid Breadth-First Search on a Single-Chip FPGA-CPU Heterogeneous Platform. 25th International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications, FPL 2015, London, United Kingdom, September 2-4, 2015.
- (2014) An Energy Efficient Column-Major Backend for FPGA SpMV Accelerators. 2014 32nd IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD).
- (2014) Memory-Centric Design for FPGA SpMV Accelerators. International Summer School on Advanced Computer Architecture and Compilation for High-Performance and Embedded Systems . HiPEAC; Fiuggi. 2014-07-13 - 2014-07-19.