Background and activities
Yuming Jiang received his BSc degree in Electronic Engineering from Peking University (also known as Beijing University) in 1988, MEng degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Beijing Institute of Technology in 1991, and PhD degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) from the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2001. Before his PhD study from 1997, he worked with Motorola. He was a Research Engineer at the ECE Department, NUS, from December 1999 to May 2001. From June 2001 to December 2003, he was with the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Singapore as a Member of Technical Staff and Research Scientist, where he led the Next Generation Networks lab. From July 2003 to June 2004, he was an Adjunct Assistant Professor of the ECE Department, NUS. He joined from January 2004 the Centre for Quantifiable Quality of Service in Communication Systems (Q2S), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), where he stayed until November 2005. In 2008 - 2012, he was co-appointed at Q2S as Professor. He visited Northwestern University, USA, from Aug 2009 - July 2010, and Columbia University, USA, from Aug 2015 - July 2016. Since Dec 2005, he has been with NTNU, where he is a full Professor.
He is recipient of a fellowship from the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM). He was Co-Chair of IEEE Globecom2005— General Conference Symposium, TPC Co-Chair of 67th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) 2008, General/TPC Co-Chair of International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS) 2007-2010, and General Chair of IFIP Networking 2014 Conference. He was Chair and presently board member of IEEE Norway Section. He is author of the book ”Stochastic Network Calculus” published by Springer in 2008.
His research interests include the provision of quality of service guarantees in communication networks, performance evaluation of communication networks and network calculus, multimedia delivery over communication networks and network management. In the area of network calculus, his focus has been on developing fundamental models and investigating their basic properties for stochastic network calculus (snetcal), and recently also on applying snetcal to performance analysis of wireless networks and on extending snetcal to information-driven networks and energy/power networks.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Non-asymptotic delay bounds for (k, l) fork-join systems and multi-stage fork-join networks. IEEE Infocom. Proceedings.
- (2016) Deep Semantics Inspection over Big Network Data at Wire Speed. IEEE Network. vol. 30 (1).
- (2016) A Bounded Model of the Communication Delay for System Integrity Protection Schemes. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 31 (4).
- (2016) Stochastic delay analysis for train control services in next-generation high-speed railway communications system. IEEE transactions on intelligent transportation systems (Print). vol. 17 (1).
- (2015) Approximate Consensus in Stochastic Networks with Application to Load Balancing. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. vol. 61 (4).
- (2015) Optimal Step-Size of a Local Voting Protocol for Differentiated Consensuses Achievement in a Stochastic Network with Priorities. 2015 European Control Conference.
- (2015) Differentiated consensuses in decentralized load balancing problem with randomized topology, noise, and delays. I E E E Conference on Decision and Control. Proceedings. vol. 2015-February (February).
- (2015) Fundamentals of the Backoff Process in 802.11: Dichotomy of the Aggregation. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. vol. 61 (4).
- (2015) Experimental Study for Multi-layer Parameter Configuration of WSN Links. 35th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, ICDCS 2015.
- (2015) Investigation on MDP-based radio access technology selection in heterogeneous wireless networks. Computer Networks. vol. 91.
- (2015) Parsing Application Layer Protocol with Commodity Hardware for SDN. Proceedings of the Eleventh ACM/IEEE Symposium on Architectures for networking and communications systems, ANCS 2015.
- (2015) Access granularity control of multichannel random access in next-generation wireless LANs. Computer Networks. vol. 91.
- (2014) Assessing the service quality of an Internet path through end-to-end measurement. Computer Networks. vol. 70.
- (2014) Differentiated Consensuses in a Stochastic Network with Priorities. Proc. of 2014 IEEE Multi-conference on Systems and Control.
- (2014) Towards a system theoretic approach to wireless network capacity in finite time and space. IEEE Infocom. Proceedings.
- (2014) On the transient behavior of CHOKe. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. vol. 22 (3).
- (2014) Towards Stochastic Delay Bound Analysis for Network-on-Chip. 8th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip (NoCS).
- (2013) Generalizing the CHOKe flow protection. Computer Networks. vol. 57 (1).
- (2013) Stochastic Service Curve and Delay Bound Analysis: A Single Node Case. Proceedings of the 2013 25th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC).
- (2013) On applying stochastic network calculus. Frontiers of Computer Science. vol. 7 (6).
- (2013) Stochastic Performance Analysis of a Wireless Finite-State Markov Channel. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 12 (2).
- (2012) K-Sparse Approximation for Traffic Histogram Dimensionality Reduction. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM 2012).
- (2012) On the Asymptotic Validity of the Decoupling Assumption for Analyzing 802.11 MAC Protocol. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. vol. 58 (11).
- (2012) Fairness among High Speed and Traditional TCP under different Queue Management Mechanisms. Proceedings of the 8th Asian Internet Engineering Conference (AINTEC), 2012.
- (2012) Guaranteed service and delay-constrained capacity of a multi-channel cognitive secondary network. Proceedings of the 2012 7th International ICST Conference on Cognitive Radio Oriented Wireless Networks and Communications (CROWNCOM).
- (2012) Analysis on the Capacity of a Cognitive Radio Network under Delay Constraints. IEICE transactions on communications. vol. E95B (4).
- (2012) Analysis on the battery lifespan of a mobile terminal under probabilistic delay constraint. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Energy-Efficient Computing and Networking (e-Energy'12).
- (2012) Stochastic network calculus for performance analysis of Internet networks — An overview and outlook. Proceedings of International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), 2012.
- (2012) Modeling and Analysis of a P2P-VoD System Based on Stochastic Network Calculus. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7201.
- (2012) A Stochastic Calculus for Network Systems with Renewable Energy Sources. IEEE Infocom. Proceedings.
- (2012) Performance of data transmission over a Gaussian channel with dispersion. Proceedings of 2012 International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS).
- (2011) Delay Constrained Throughput Analysis of a Correlated MIMO Wireless Channel. Computer Communications and Networks.
- (2011) Approximate Fairness Through Limited Flow List. International Teletraffic Congress.
- (2011) A Temporal Network Calculus Approach to Service Guarantee Analysis of Stochastic Networks. VALUETOOLS 2011 - 5th International ICST Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools.
- (2011) Performance of Acyclic Stochastic Networks with Network Coding. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. vol. 22 (7).
- (2010) Analyzing Router Performance Using Network Calculus with External Measurements. 18th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2010.
- (2010) Performance Analysis of a Cognitive Radio Network with Imperfect Spectrum Sensing. INFOCOM IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops, 2010.
- (2010) On the backlog and delay distributions of primary and secondary users in a cognitive radio network. China Communications. vol. 7 (5).
- (2010) On the model transform in stochastic network calculus. 18th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2010.
- (2009) Unified Simulation Evaluation for Mobile Broadband Technologies. IEEE Communications Magazine. vol. 47 (3).
- (2009) Network Calculus and Queueing Theory: Two Sides of One Coin. Proceedings of Fourth International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (VALUETOOLS 2009).
- (2009) Fundamental calculus on generalized stochastically bounded bursty traffic for communication networks. Computer Networks. vol. 53 (12).
- (2009) On The Throughput Limits for Communication Networks. EuroNF Workshop on Traffic Management and Traffic Engineering for the Future Internet.
- (2009) Performance modeling of stochastic networks with network coding. Proc. International Workshop on Network Coding, Theory, and Applications, 2009.
- (2009) A calculus for information-driven networks. Proc. 17th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2009.
- (2009) Stochastic Network Calculus Models under Max-Plus Algebra. Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference 2009.
- (2008) Stochastic Network Calculus. Springer. 2008. ISBN 978-1-84800-126-8.
- (2008) Robustness Study of MBAC Algorithms. Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), 2008.
- (2008) An analysis on error servers for stochastic network calculus. Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2008.
- (2007) A Calculus for Stochastic QoS Analysis. Performance evaluation (Print). vol. 64 (6).
- (2007) Network Calculus Approach to Router Modeling with External Measurements. Proceedings from International Conference on Communications and Networking in China (ChinaCom 2007).
- (2007) Network Calculus Approach to Router Modeling with External Measurements. International Conference on Communications and Networking in China 2007 ; Shanghai. 2007-08-22 - 2007-08-24.
- (2006) A Basic Stochastic Network Calculus. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2006: Conference on Computer Communications, Pisa, Italy, September 11-15, 2006.
- (2006) Delay bound and packet scale rate guarantee for some expedited forwarding networks. Computer Networks. vol. 50 (1).
- (2006) Per-domain packet scale rate guarantee for expedited forwarding. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. vol. 14.
- (2006) Conformance Analysis in Networks with Service Level Agreements. Computer Networks. vol. 47 (6).
- (2005) Analysis of Stochastic Service Guarantees in Communication Networks: A Server Model. 13th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), Passau, Germany. 21 June 2005 . IWQoS; Passau. 2005-06-21 - 2005-06-22.
- (2005) Analysis of Stochastic Service Guarantees in Communication Networks: A Traffic Model. 19th International Teletraffic Congress, Beijing, China. 29 August 2005 ; Beijing. 2005-08-29 - 2005-09-02.
- (2005) Providing absolute QoS through virtual channel reservation in optical burst switching networks. Computer Communications. vol. 28 (9).
- (2005) Queueing processes in GPS and PGPS with LRD traffic inputs. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. vol. 13.
- (2004) Provisioning of Adapatability to Variable Topologies for Routing Schemes in MANETs. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. vol. 22 (7).
- (2004) Link-Based Fair Aggregation: A Simple Approach to Scalabel Support of Per-Flow Service Guarantees. IFIP Networking Conference, Athens, Greece, 9-14 May 2004 ; Athens. 2004-05-09 - 2004-05-14.
- (2004) Analysis of Multi-Server Round Robin Scheduling Disciplines. IEICE transactions on communications. vol. E87-B (12).
- (2004) A Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation Scheme for Differentiated Services in EPONs. IEEE Communications Magazine. vol. 42 (8).
- (2004) Link-based fair aggregation: A simple approach to scalable support of per-flow service guarantees. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 3042.
- (2003) Relationship between Guaranteed Rate Server and Latency Rate Server. Computer Networks. vol. 43 (3).
- (2003) Impact of FIFO Aggregation on Delay Performance of a Differentiated Services Network. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 2662.
- (2003) A Probabilistic Preemptive Scheme for Providing Service Differentiation in OBS Networks. IEEE Communications Society ; San Francisco, USA. 2003-12-01 - 2003-12-05.