Water Power Laboratory
The Water Power (aka Hydro Power) Laboratory consists of various pipe-loops pressurized through centrifugal pumps. In addition to conventional closed loop test circuits, the laboratory is equipped with an upper free surface reservoir which is unique and gives a great deal of flexibility. Of special test rigs one can mention:
- Test rig for Francis, Kaplan and reversible pump turbines (RPT). This rig is in accordance with IEC standards
- Test rig for Pelton turbines.
- Test rig for micro-, mini- and small turbines.
Research at the laboratory is mainly connected to student projects for Master and PhD degrees, such as:
- Design of machinery and co mponents and verification by help of numerical tools such as CFD and FEM analysis.
- Evaluation of technology and development of theory for existing and new components in hydraulic systems.
- Calculation of stability and safety margins within waterways (pipes-network) and preparations for measurements, procedures and analysis of hydraulic systems.
- Testing of materials with regards to cavitation-erosion and assessment of materials with regards to fatigue in combination with flow induced structural vibrations.
- Testing of model turbines.