Events at TEM Gemini Centre
TEM introduction course
We organize a short course to introduce TEM as valuable characterization technique. The course, lectures and hands-on demos, is open to everyone interested, but we have a limited number of places. More information.
The new NORTEM TEMs in Trondheim
- Inauguration of the new NORTEM JEOL microscopes
September 10. 2013
Today, the new microscopes (TEM) at NTNU and SINTEF inaugurated and the event took place in Realfagbygget NTNU. Project Manager Spyros Diplas (SINTEF) welcomed. Then Randi Holmestad (NTNU) told the history of TEM in Trondheim.
History of TEM in Trondheim
The TEM history started by Professor Ragnvald Høier in 1972 and continued until the first Jeol2010F was installed at Department of Physics in 2001. Randi Holmestad told about the long road to the award. The TEM group started with the application for funding already in 2006. In 2009, the Norwegian Centre for Transmission Electron Microscopy (NORTEM) was established. After several suggestions and applications were NORTEM large-scale infrastructure projects granted 58 MNOK from The Research Council of Norway. The job of implementation, negotiations and contracts could start.
Laboratories and transmission electron microscopes (TEM) was built during the past year. In October 2013, the three new microscopes will come into use. The three new microscopes are JEM-ARM200F (JEOL double corrected), JEM-2100F TEM and JEM-2100 LaB6 TEM.
TEM Gemini Centre consists of a team of six SINTEF researchers, four NTNU researchers, three engineers, seven master's students, three postdocs and nine PhD students. The project is funded by The Research Council of Norway together with the three partners SINTEF, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) and University of Oslo (UiO). NORTEM project is divided into two nodes, in Trondheim and Oslo, distribution 50-50 percent.
JEOL Centre contract was signed by SINTEF's President Unni Steinsmo, President JEOL Ltd. Gon'emon Kurihara and NTNUs Pro-Rector for Research Kari Melby. Guests and participants were given a guided tour in the the laboratories and the new microscopes. After the official opening it was held a technical seminar with seven invited speakers from around the world, giving presentations about what is possible to achieve with the new generation of TEM. The seminar had more than 50 participants.
Nye supermikroskop på plass ved NTNU (Norwegian)
(click to expand)
- 09/10: Announcement NORTEM seed projects and application form.
- 30/09: Announcement TEM intro course, see dedicated page.
- 30/09: Announcement half day seminar on (atomistic) modeling of precipitates in aluminium
- 30/09: ARM now officially part of TEM Gemini Centre infrastructure
- 27/09: Stand of TEM group and guided tours/demo at 2100 during researcher's night.
- 24/09: First beam made on the new 2100F. Installation on schedule.
- 19/08: New 2100F arrived and installation started.
- 12/08: New JEOL2100 training and use started. Will be in booking system shortly.
- 09/08: Weekly TEM lunches started again. In principle every Friday 12.15 in D4-132, with coffee, tea, cakes and the occasional talk. All users of the TEM facility are welcome.
- 09/07: Intro-course on the new facilities in Trondheim will be 6.-8. November 2013!
- 09/07: Date for NorTEMnet advanced course in Trondheim decided!
- 11/06: Report of annual meeting BILAT Norway-Japan.
- 21/04: Popular science article Prøver å forstå styrken til aluminium (TU) and Avkoder styrken i aluminium (forskning.no) about the eVITA project "Multiscale modelling of hardening precipitate interfaces in alloy design" (Ehlers, Holmestad). Prøver å forstå styrken til aluminium (IFY).
- 04/04: The Easter bunny delivered many boxes and the essembly of the first of three new NORTEM microscopes has started.
- 02/04: Welcome to dr Yanjie Gan. She joint our TEM group as postdoc and will be working on the characterization of Pd-membranes.
- 08/03: Annual report 2012 released.
- 04/03: Overview possible student projects Autumn semester 2013; Project work, Master/Diploma topics in the TEM Gemini Centre, Autumn 2013 [pdf] (Studentoppgaver TEM Gemini center høst 2013).
- 25/02: First parts of new NorTEM microscopes arrived at site.
- 20/02: New PC in computer room with processing software Astar data sets.
- 19/02: Description on new (NorTEM) microscopes, The NORTEM microscopes in Trondheim [pdf].
- 09/01: Astar orientation mapping installed at 2010F
- 02/01: Weekly TEM lunch are this semester on Fridays at 12.15 in D4-132 with coffee, tea and cakes. Update on equipment, other news and occasional guest speakers. First meeting is on Friday 4 January.
- 21/12: Seasonal greetings from TEM Gemini Center to all our 2012 and future collaborators.
- 04/12: Guest lecture by Dr Martien den Hertog (CNRS) on advanced TEM (and correlated measurements) on Si, II-VI and III-V nanowires in D4-132 at 11.15.
- 03/12: Congratulations to Jelena Todorovic for defending her work and obtaining her well deserved PhD.
- 19/11: On Monday 3 Decmeber will PhD candidate Jelena Todorovic defend her thesis "Correlated transmission electron microscopy and micro-photoluminescence studies of GaAs-based heterostructured semiconductor nanowires". The topic of her trial lecture is "Characterization of nanoscale p-n junctions". All welcome to follow both events.
- 10/09: Article in Teknisk Ukeblad about Norwegian-Japanese project in TEM/aluminium developements. See also SINTEF pages.
- 29/08: Congratulations to Katharina Teichmann for her excellent defence of her PhD on "The effect of deformation on precipitation and precipitation hardening in aluminium alloys" today.
- 23/08: Weekly TEM lunch meetings restarted. Every Thursday at 12.15 in D4-132.
- 10/08: On Friday 17 August Roya Dehghan-Niri will defence her PhD Thesis: "Advanced Transmission Electron Microscopy Studies of Cobalt Fischer-Tropsch Catalysts". Trial lecture ("Coherent lensless imaging" at 10.15 and public defence at 13.15, both in Totalrommet (Hovedbygget).
- 25/07: Postdoc position in TEM of Pd membranes, see here
- 25/06: Annoucement TEM introduction and TEM PhD course you can find here.
- 13/06: Vidar Fauske won best student presentation price at 3rd Nanonetwork meeting for work "Transmission electron microscopy study of defects at the interface between GaAs nanowires and a Si-111 substrate".
- 31/05: Nortem contract signed with JEOL and Zeiss. Official announcement follow shortly.
- 09/03: Annual report 2011 released.
- 29/02: Studentoppgaver TEM Gemini center høst 2012.
- 05/01: Weekly TEM lunch started again. Every Thursday at 12.15 in D4-132 with coffee, tea and cakes. Update on equipment, other news and occasional guest speakers.
- 22/12: Seasonal greetings from TEM Gemini Center to all our collaborators.
- 16/12: Project presentations by Amund Utne and Jason Granholt.
- 22/11: Annual TEM Gemini strategy meeting
- 21/11: Prof Jian Min Zuo, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign will give a talk at 13.15 in room E4-107. The title is "Aberration corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy for materials and interface analysis"
- 31/10: Overview available student projects within TEM Gemini center Spring 2012 published.
- 26/10: CONGRATULATIONS!: NorTEM initiative (TEM Gemini together with structural physics group at UiO) has been granted substancial amount for upgrade and extending TEM infrastructure in Norway. See: NRF's announcement and description.
- 22/10: Guest talk "Aberration corrected STEM" on 21/11 by Prof. dr. Jian Ming Zuo, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA.
- 17/10: Upgrades: EDX PC on 2010F and IMAC to replace oldest Mac. Further software upgrades scheduled.
- 10/10: Dr Ruben Bjørge starts postdoc within the TEM group on project "Quantitative TEM".
- 05/10: This year's Noble Price in Chemistry for Shechtman for discovering quasicrystals is a good example of the power of electron diffraction in TEM. In the late '80s some work on these quasicrystals was done in the TEM group (PhD S. Anderson).
- 26/09: Dr Chris Boothroyd, Jülich Research Centre, Germany, "Quantitative Electron Microscopy". At 10.15 in D4-132.
- 23/09: PhD defence Ruben Bjørge: "Scanning transmission electron microscopy studies of precipitation in Al-Mg-Ge alloys".
- 19/09: PhD defence Espen Eberg: "Interface Effects in PbTiO3 Thin Films and Nanostructures: A Transmission Electron Microscopy Study ".
- 15/09: Lunch talk by Ass. Prof. Shinji Muraishi, Tokyo Tech. Japan (Currently guest researcher in TEM Gemini Center): TEM study magnetic anisotropic thin films.
- 04/09: Guest lecture by Prof. T. Sato (Tokyo Institute of technology, Japan): "Nanocluster formation behavior in high strength aluminum"
- 03/09: PhD defence Malin Torsæter: "Quantitative studies of clustering and precipitation in Al.Mg-Si (Cu) alloys".
- 01/09: Vidar Fauske started a PhD in the group. His project focusses on FIB for controlled III-V nanowire growth and interfacial study of substrate-nanowire by TEM. The position is funded by NTNU Nanolab.
- 25/08: TEM lunch with trial EMAG talks from Kauko and Børge
- 23/08: TEM lunch schedule talks for the Fall
- 22/08: Ragnhild Sæterli rejoins the group as postdoc on FME Sol. Her work focusses on advanced TEM characterisation of solar cell materials.
- 21/08: TEM group walk in Bymarka
- 15/08: Magnus Nord started as PhD. He will be working on functional oxide thin films. The project is funded by "forskerskole nanoteknologi for mikrosystemer".
- 06/07: NorTEM tender annouced
- 27/05: Tem lunch talk: Magnus Nord "Cs Corrected HRTEM and HAADF of quantum dot IBSC"
- 20/05: Tem lunch talk: Vidar Fauske "TEM characterization of NW-substrate interfaces"
- 06/05: Tem lunch talk: Trung Tran "Bimetallic nanoparticles: from theory to TEM characterization"
- 02/05: TEM lunch schedule talks for the Spring
- 01/05: Randi in radioprogram "Abels Tårn", about TEM aberration correction (in Norwegian, date 29/04/11) http://www.blekk.org/index.php?p=ekko_-_et_aktuelt_samfunnsprogram
- 29/04: We welcome our new group member Trung Tran from Vietnam. He is a postdoc working on TEM of catalysts.
- 15/04: Tem lunch talk: Ton van Helvoort about "Calibrations for the CM30".
- 08/04: Tem lunch talk: Hanne Kauko, "Procedure scanning HAADF detector for quantitative HAADF".
- 04/04: We welcome our new group member Takeshi Saito from Japan.He is a PhD student on the BILAT project. His topic is precipitates in 6xxx Al alloys,and Randi Holmestad is his supervisor.
- 01/04: Tem lunch talk: Jelena Todorovic, "Correlated PL-TEM of heterostructured semiconducting nanowires". Jelena participated at MSMXVII in Cambridge with this talk.
- 30/03: Half day seminar: "TEM on solar cell materials" was a big success. Everyone thanks for their contributions. TEM Gemini group member have access to the slides via internal Wiki page.
- 21/03: Studentoppgaver TEM Gemini Center høst 2011; Project work/Master/Diploma topics in the TEM Gemini Centre, Fall 2011 [pdf] og presentasjon Prosjektoppgave i TEM-gruppa høst 2011 (norsk).
- 20/03: Annual report 2010 released.
- 18/03: Katharina Teichmann presents her recent work on strain measurements around precipitates in 6xxx alloys using geometric phase analysis (GPA) in the TEM lunch meeting.
- 10/03: TEM Gemini ski weekend in Åre
- 25/02: The TEM Gemini Center organises a workshop "TEM on solar cell materials" on Wednesday 30 March. For more information and registration click here.
- 11/02: Demi Kepaptsoglou (UiO) will give a talk in our TEM lunch meeting called "Atomic scale characterization of interfaces in renwable energy related functional materials".
- 03/02: Roya Dehghan presents electron tomography results from the Center as well as the tomo hardware and software present.
- 07/01: Weekly TEM lunch meetings start again. Every Friday at 12.15. Every second Friday there is a short seminar on software tools used in ongoing TEM research. Frist seminar by Ruben Børge on HAADF multislice simulations Friday 21 January.
- 30/11/2010: Internal workshop "Digital tools in TEM" with 30 particpants. Contributions from within Centre and Paul Thomas from Gatan.
- 15/10/2010: We have finished the new NORTEM application to the Research Council on large scale infrastructure. Cross fingers!!
- 13/10/2010: The introduction course is now finished. About 30 participants followed the 5 2 hours lectures. 10 PhD students continue with the PhD course in TEM taught this fall.
- 12/10/2010: Randi Hiolmestad in Adressavisen. See Webpage newspaper.
- 15/08/2010 Welcome to two new PhD students in the group! Astrid Marie Muggerud and Sigurd Wenner has both started their PhD within different areas of Aluminium Alloys.
- 25/06/2010 We got support for a Nordic network within TEM, NorTEMnet from NordForsk! See www.ntnu.edu/physics/nortemnet
- 12/06/2010: Introduction course and PhD course in TEM, Electron Microscopy and Diffraction, given in the fall. Pdf version: Intensive TEM introduction course.
- 19/03/2010: Annual report for 2009 released.
- 12/03/2010: We have updated our list of student projects for the Fall 2010.
- 12/02/2010: Ragnhild explained the FIB for our minister of trade and industry, Trond Giske.
- 05/02/2010: Start weekly meetings TEM Gemini Centre, 12.15 in D4-132.
- 30/01/2010: NORTEM application round 2 (Forskningsrådets Storskala Infrastruktur) submitted. This is a collaboration between TEM Gemini Centre and Strukturfysikkgruppa at IFY/SMN UiO.
- 14/01/2010: New PC installed in computer room for general data analysis of TEM results. At 2010F: Gatan PC upgraded and additional HD installed for data storage.
- 03/01/2010: Welcome to our new PhD student Jon Holmestad who started a PhD within our Centre on "New aluminium alloy design through thin film technology".
- 15/12/2009: Todays FIB hands-on course dedicated to TEM specimen preparation given by Chengge Jiao (FEI) in which 7 TEM Gemini people participated. Topics: Liftout, gentle milling and milling of different geometries and materials (PbTiO3 nanostructures, grain boundaries Si solar cell, fracture surfaces in martensitic stainless steels). Thanks to Chengge Jiao for the excellent course, to NTNU Nanolab for providing the facilities and the strategic areas Materials (TSO Materialer) for financial support.
- 01/12/2009: As a result of Kvilhaugen workshop the webpages need to be updated as TEM activities at Institute of Materials Science & Technology are now officially part of the TEM Gemini Centre. The TEM people from IMT have now access to the Gemini Center intranet pages.
- 19-20/11/2009: Kvilhaugen workshop: "Learn to know each other seminar" for bringing new member (IMT TEM group) and established Gemini Centre members (TEM group IFY & SINTEF Materials Physics) closer to each other and establishing a fruitful cooperation.
- 31/10/2009: The NORTEM application in collaboration with strukturfysikkgruppa ved fysikk, UiO has continued to round 2 of large scale infrastructure!!!
- 06/07/2009: TEM activities at the Institute of Materials Science & Technology are now officially part of the TEM Gemini Centre. Welcome!