Our research focuses on algorithms with emphasis on bioinformatics, computer graphics, high-performance computing, and search.
We conduct research in the fields of Computer Architecture and Computer Design. Areas of focus include hardware, hardware / software interfaces. processor technology, and system software.
The research group foucses on big data, database systems, search, and text mining.
Our research focuses on empirical information systems, human-computer interaction (HCI), component-based software development, software process improvement, software security, and cooperation technologies.
Intelligent Systems (AI)
The research group focuses on logical, probabilistic and biologically-inspired methods in artificial intelligence (AI), and machine-learning (ML).
Our FP7, Horizon 2020 (H2020), and EEA projects.
Projects from the Research Council of Norway (NFR), and
the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad).
|NFR, 2015–2020||SoS-Agile: Vitenskaplig sikkerhet i smidig utvikling||Pekka Abrahamsson|
|NFR, 2016–2019||FUTURE LEARNING: Orchestrating 21st Century Learning Ecosystems using Analytics||Michail Giannakos|
|NORAD, 2016–2019||Innovation competition: EduApp4Syria||Alf Inge Wang|
|NFR, 2015–2018||Anbefalingsteknologi||Jon Atle Gulla|
|NFR, 2014–2019||Next generation agile development methods (Agile 2.0)||Torgeir Dingsøyr|
|NFR, 2014–2017||Programmable epigenetics (Epi++)||Pål Sætrom|
|NFR, 2013–2018||Exploring New Dimensions in Big Data (ExiBiDa)||Kjetil Nørvåg|
|NORAD, 2013–2017||Linguistic Capacity Building (NORHED)||Björn Gambäck|
|NFR, 2013–2017||Agile development of safety-critical software (SUSS)||Tor Stålhane|
|NFR, 2012–2016||Digital Oil (Doil)||Eric Monteiro|
|NFR, 2011–2016||National computer games resource network (Join Game 2)||Alf Inge Wang|
Research in collaboration with the industry.
|2015–2019||Postdoctoral Fellowship in Visual Processing of Geological Structures||Schlumberger|
|2016–2018||Postdoctoral Fellowship (60% position) in the CARD group||ARM|
|2016–2017||Adjuct Associate Professor in the AI group||Statens vegvesen|
|2014–2016||Postdoctoral Fellowship in Big Data Analytics||Telenor|
|2012–2016||PhD Fellowship in Use of a Common Framework for Information Exchange within the Transport Sector||Statens vegvesen|
Our research centres from 2015–2023.
- Centre for Exposed Aquaculture Operations (EXPOSED) | Agnar Aamodt
- Center for Scalable Data Access in the Oil and Gas Domain (SIRIUS) | Eric Monteiro
Gemini Centres is a formalized collaboration between SINTEF and NTNU.
- Applied Artifical Intelligence | Anders Kofod-Petersen
- BigData | Svein Erik Bratsberg
- Software engineering | Tor Stålhane
- Technology Enhanced Lifelong Learning | Monica Divitini
Strategic Research Areas at the IME faculty
- Big Data (BigData) | Heri Ramampiaro
- Energy Efficient Computing Systems (EECS) | Magnus Jahre
- Open and Autonomous Digital Ecosystems (OADE) | John Krogstie
Cross Disciplinary Collaborations
Supervised doctorates are the highest degrees awarded by the University for research. The research is carried out under the immediate supervision of staff members. The education and training provided produce graduates who have the capacity to conduct independent research that is both original and of high international quality.
The department has access to a broad spectrum of advanced laboratories and scientific equipment
- Computer Architecture Lab | Gunnar Tufte
- Database Cluster | Kjetil Nørvåg
- Forløpslab | Øystein Nytrø
- Hackerspace | Unni K. Eide
- HPC Lab | Anne C. Elster
- CRAB Lab | Pauline Haddow
- User Interaction Lab | Dag Svanæs
- Visual Computing Lab | Theoharis Theohari
- Wireless Trondheim Living Lab | John Krogstie