Calls for proposals

Research Council of Norway and EU

Other funding

Alexander von Humboldt Fundation. Humboldt Research Fellowships for scholars not resident in Germany holding doctoral degrees and under 40 years of age.

The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) conducts inter-disciplinary scientific studies on environmental, economic, technological and social issues in the context of human dimensions of global change. It arranges a summer school for young researchers (doctoral and final year Masters degree students) reach year.

The Norway-America Association grants ($2000-$20,000) for Graduate Studies and Research in the USA. The application deadline is usually in September.

The U.S.-Norway Fulbright Foundation offers several types of scholarships.

The University of Minnesota advertises scholarships for "one year of graduate study". The scholarship is awarded to students who have studied for a minimum of 3 years at a Norwegian university. The scholarship has been set up by Torske Klubben. Those who are awarded a scholarship can count on making very good contacts with the Norwegian community in the USA. The deadline is 1. March, but you are advised to make early preparations.

Research visits to France
The Norwegian Research Council administers "The Aurora Programme - Collaboration Research Projects between Norway and France". Scholarships are awarded each year. Deadline is usually around September or October. 

The International Department of Applied Systems Analysis
Laxemburg, Austria, has a Summer Program for young researchers from June to August every year. The work is connected with economic, technological and environmental issues. Doctoral students and final year project students who are accepted for the summer school can apply to the Research Council for up to NOK 35,000 to cover expenses connected with their stay.

Travel grants for PhD students are awarded annually. Contact Liv Mjelde. Application deadline: December 1.

advertises a number of scholarships and endowments. (in Norwegian only).

Travel grants to Japan
The Scandinavia - Japan Sasakava Fund is designed to strengthen co-operation and friendship between Japan and the Nordic countries. Travel grants of between NOK 25,000 and 50,000 are awarded from the fund. Further information and application forms can be obtained from Jostein H. Søvik, tel. 73593068 or fax 73597043.

Information about the programme, selection criteria and application forms can be found in the reference. The deadline is early January. The application form should be sent with a copy to the Research Council.

Nordic programmes

IIASA´s postdoctoral scholarships
IIASA, the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, invites recent recipients of a doctoral degree to apply for postdoctoral scholarships of 12 to 24 months´ duration to conduct research on a theme related to IIASA´s current agenda.

Peder Sather Grant Program

The Peder Sather Center for Advanced Study supports projects carried out by researchers at UC Berkeley in collaboration with researchers from eight Norwegian universities. The PSC will provide Seed Grants ($5-20K = 29-116K NOK) as well as Full Grants ($25-75K = 145-435K NOK) to partnered researchers. These funds can be used to support activities such as workshops, mini-conferences, graduate student exchanges, exchanges of postdoctoral fellows, the undertaking of exploratory studies, and the undertaking of core research activities.

Due date for application: 15. March 2013

Grant and Application Information

Contacts: Øyvin Sæther ( tlf. 97679, administrative contact for NTNU, or Asbjørn Rolstadås (, member of the "Advisory Board" and "Executive committee" of the center.