Introduction seminar for PhD-students
PhD students are important for the recruitment of well qualified academic staff and a cornerstone in the research activities of NTNU. Experience has shown that there are some challenges related to the initiation of the study, the continued research activities and process of writing up the final thesis. Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering is therefore trying to improve the procedures for the start-up as well as the continued progress evaluation of the PhD studies. Important activities in this process are to:
- provide the students with important background information
- start the process of reflection on required activities, possible challenges and priorities in completing a PhD degree at NTNU
- strengthen the procedures around the preparation of a research plan, in order to facilitate the continued research work and to finalize the thesis.
The mandatory PhD introduction seminar shall be taken at the first opportunity after what occurs first of the "start date for employment" or "admission" for the PhD education. PhD introduction seminars are arranged each semester.
Other relevant competences
Contact: Harald Lenschow
5. May 2014 (1st day)
Rica Nidelven Hotel (Havnegata 1, Trondheim)
Chaired by professor Olav B. Fosso
INVITATION | PROGRAMME (Tentative)
Programme at a glance:
- Experiences and challenges of being a PhD-student
- IME procedures for the PhD-studies
- PhD student at NTNU; supervisors' and university's expectations
- Scientific publication – the key to success!
- Literature review papers
- Ethics in Research
- Presentation of requirements to a research plan
- Summary and Closing
- Handbook for PhD education at NTNU
13. May 2014 (2nd day)
Room EL21, Old Electric Engineering Building, Gløshaugen.
- TTO NTNU – Technology Transfer
- HR Information about employment, rights and obligations as a PhD candidate
- Workshop in technical writing, Chaired by: Stuart Clark
Upcoming seminar for PhD Supervisors
The Faculty arrange annually a 2-days seminar for PhD Supervisors. The next seminar will be arranged for the 21. and 22. of May 2014.