Cavitation lab data
Height between center lines: 10 metres
Width between center lines: 22.22 metres
Contraction area ratio: 6.25
Diameter of working section: 1.20 metre
Length of working section: 2.08 metres
Type of working section: Closed throat
Maximum water velocity: 18 m/sec.
Maximum propeller RPM: 3000
Propeller motor power: 50 KW
Maximum working pressure: 6.0 atm.abs.
Minimum working pressure: 0.1 atm.abs./sv~0.2
Impeller motor power: 1150 KW
Honeycomb for flow straightening.
Photo: Cavitation tunnel.
- Open water tests with propeller (and duct) in axial or oblique flow
- Behind hull condition with single, twin or triple screw installations
- Azimuth thrusters
- Z-drive installations
- Underwater vehicles (submarines, ROV's etc.)
- Hydrofoils with or without remotely controlled flaps
Measurements and observations
- Cavitation observation (documentation by sketches, photos and video recordings)
- Cavitation erosion detection by paint technique
- Measurements of propeller induced pressure fluctuations in the aftbody
- Measurements of propeller induced noise
- Six-component force measurements Photo: propeller testing in the cavitation laboratory.
MARINTEK's standard procedure for propeller cavitation testing in behind condition is to use dummy aftbody model and simulation of estimated full scale wake distribution based on the measured wake distribution in the towing tank.