Biomechanics is a relatively new topic at the department, with some initiatives emerging around 1995. Over the last years the activity has increased significantly.
Main topics now are:
- modeling of soft tissue in the heart (mitral valve in particular)
- fluid-structure-interaction analysis of the left ventricle
- bone modeling (problems related to total hip replacement and leg lengthening by means of callotasis in particular)
- analysis of impact trauma in forensic science (the cause and effect of bruises in particular)
- wave propagation in arteries and blood flow in elastic arteries