The NTNU University Museum is one of six university museums in Norway and is a part of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU.
The Museum is located at Kalvskinnet in the centre of Trondheim, along with its exhibitions, collections, administration and three of its sections. The Archaeometry Section is located at the Gløshaugen campus of NTNU.
Ringve Botanical Garden can be found at Lade, on the outskirts of Trondheim, and the Kongsvoll Alpine Garden is found in Kongsvoll, in Dovrefjell National Park.
The NTNU University Museum has its origins in the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS), founded in 1760. In 1926, the Society was reorganized into two sections: the Academy and the Museum. In 1968, the Norwegian Parliament approved a resolution to found the University of Trondheim and the Museum was transferred to the University on 1 April 1984.
Further reorganization of the University led to the establishment of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) on 1 January 1996.