Limiting exposure to harmful cooking fumes

(19.02.2010) Having trouble deciding whether to buy a gas or an electric stove?

If you’re worried about cooking fumes – and research suggests you perhaps should be – an electric stove may be a better choice, researchers at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology have found.

The research, published ahead of print in Occupational and Environmental Medicine, showed that frying beefsteak on a gas stovetop instead of an electric stovetop resulted in increased exposure to chemicals such as napthalene and mutagenic aldehydes, which may be a risk factor in lung cancer.

Ultrafine particles a problem
Frying also increases exposure to ultrafine particles, which are more readily absorbed by the lungs. While exposure to these substances was “considerably higher” when cooking with gas compared to electricity, the researchers, Ann Kristin Sjaastad, Rikke Bramming Jørgensen and Kristin Svendsen, suggest that all “exposure to cooking fumes should be reduced as much as possible.” Read more.