Master of Science in Geography
The Master of Science in geography provides the students with comprehensive training in geography's approaches to social geographical and/or geographical phenomena.
The objective of this programme is to provide a deeper understanding of geographical problems and methods, knowledge to the theoretical debate within the discipline, and training in the use of geographical working techniques. In your first year of study, you must take some elective and some compulsory courses, at the same time as planning your master's thesis and being assigned an academic supervisor. The second year is devoted to the work on your thesis.
In this programme you may specialize within one of our related priority areas, alternatively you may find a topic which covers two or more fields. The special qualifications our subject teachers hold in these areas are unique for NTNU.
This programme suits those:
- who care about environmental issues
- who care about the interaction between humans and the environment
- who care about the aspects relating to space in social development
- who are curious of how different social geographical and/or natural geographical processes affect our surroundings
- who seek a deeper understanding of the connections in our own daily lives, the society we live in and in the world which we are a part
- who are interested in relations between the local, the regional and the global
- who like travelling and want the optimal basis for interpreting and understanding the landscape, society and culture in the areas they visit
The master's programme will provide a deeper understanding of geographical approaches and methods, knowledge of the theoretical discussion within the discipline, and training in the use of geographical techniques. Students can specialize according to their interests through both their thesis and the course curriculum.
The Master of Science in Geography is a two year long programme which consists of compulsory courses, elective courses and a master's thesis (60 ECTS). For further information about the courses, please consult the course descriptions.
Please note that the language of instruction is mostly Norwegian.
Degree: Master of Science in Geography
Language of instruction: Norwegian
Duration: 2 years, 120 ECTS
Programme code: MGEOG
Restricted admission: yes
Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences
Department of Geography
Application deadline: 15th April
This information applies to the current academic year