(MSc in) Natural Gas Technology
Natural gas is gaining increasing importance world-wide as energy carrier and chemical feedstock. At NTNU and the collaborating research institute SINTEF, about 300 people are working with natural gas technology. We would like you to join the team, and to prepare you for a future within energy and process engineering.
About the programme
Natural gas is being used extensively for domestic heating, in chemical industries, and power generation. Natural gas is an environmental friendly alternative to coal. The main challenges with natural gas are generally the large distances between the production and consumption, much of the remaining resources are in sensitive environments, and carbon dioxide is emitted to the atmosphere from the combustion of it.
A two-year international full-time degree MSc programme (120 ECTS credits) is offered. It is targeted towards both Norwegian and international students, with a variety of disciplinary and cultural backgrounds. All courses are 7.5 ECTS credits and are lectured in English.
The master programme is actually a cluster of three different master programmes, Petroleum Engineering , Chemical Engineering and Natural Gas Technology. These programmes aim at covering the whole value chain for natural gas, including exploration and production, processing, liquefaction, transport, conversion to chemicals, power generation and heating. Techno-economic optimization is included for the whole value chain. Technologies for carbon dioxide capture and storage is emphasized in the processing and conversion steps of the value chain.
A wide range of specializations:
- Process Integration
- Multiphase flows
- Gas transport
- Thermal Turbo Machinery
- Thermal power Cycles including CO2 capture
- Value-chains and life cycle analysis (LCA)
- NEW program! Starting August 2009
- 2 year international Master Programme
- Requirement: BSc or equivalent in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- All courses are given in English
- Required TOEFL score: 500/550 or 170/213
- NTNU is a Norway's top ranked engineering school and the only university in Norway with a complete engineering program
- No tuition or admission fee
- Expected living and housing costs per year: Approx. 80000 NOK = 10000 Euro (proof of funds required to get visa)
- The job marked for mechanical engineering graduates in Norway is excellent
- Top students are encouraged to apply!
Application deadline: January 15th.
Host department: Department of Energy and Process Engineering
Questions about your international master's application?
Having trouble with your online application for our international Master's of Science programmes? Wondering when the deadlines are, or what kind of language requirements to be fullfilled? We have answered all these questions and more in our FAQs.
Facts about the programme
Degree: Master of Science in Natural Gas Technology (MSc)
Duration: 2 years, 120 ECTS
Programme code: MSGASTECH
Number of students admitted: 11
Language of instruction: English
Location: Trondheim, Gløshaugen
Engineering Science and Technology
Energy and Process Engineering
Validity of information: 2015/2016