Research courses for external candidates
Resarchers and research fellows who are not attending a PhD programme at NTNU can apply for admission to research courses as external candidates.
The deadline for applying is 15 September for the fall semester and 15 February for the spring semester.
External candidates who are attending a PhD programme have to send confirmation of admission from their institution. If you are already admitted to a PhD programme you fill the admission requirements for research courses and you do not have to send further documentation.
External candidates who are not attending a PhD programme have to send documentation of their master's degree. If you have education from other countries than Norway or other Nordic countries you also have to send documentation of the English language requirements. The language requirements can be filled with the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 500 points on the paper-based test or 60 points on the Internet-based test
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum score of 5.0 (minimum score of 6.0 for M.Phil programs)
- Cambridge First Certificate in English, Certificate in Advanced English eller Certificate of Proficiency in English (see more information with Folkeuniversitetet)
- APIEL (Advanced Placement International English Language) examination with a minimum score of 3 points
- Other ways to document English proficiency can be found here
If you apply for courses with previous knowledge requirements you have to send documentation that you fill these requirements. You can find information about previous knowledge requirements on the course web pages.
Education from NTNU
Applicants who have completed a master's degree at NTNU do not have to send an application to take research courses. They can apply for an active student status via Søknadsweb. The deadline for applying is 1 September for the autumn semester, and 1 February for the spring semester. Read more about applying for an active student status here.
The semester fee is NOK 510 per semester and is paid via Studentweb. For questions about payment of the semester fee, please contact Student Service. Applicants who have documented admission to a programme can be exempted from paying the semester fee.