Trondheim as a centre of learning over the centuries

Trondheim as a centre of learning over the centuries

The 1700s

The 1700s

1757   

Det Kongelige Norske Bergseminarium (literally, the Royal Norwegian Geological Seminary) opens in Kongsberg.

NTNU's oldest academic discipline - mineral resources engineering - can trace its roots to the foundation of this institution.

Geological Seminary in Kongsberg

Photo: snl.no

1760

DKNVS is founded

Norway's first academic society was founded in 1760 with the creation of the Trondheim Society. In 1767, the Trondheim Society received royal recognition from King Christian VII, and the society changed its name to the Royal Norwegian Society of Science and Letters (DKNVS). It was also awarded its own seal.

 DKNVS

1768  

DKNVS Library founded

The DKNVS library -- today known as NTNU's Gunnerus Library -- is Norway's oldest. The society's holdings that year consisted of 500 volumes.

 

 


 

 

The 1800s

The 1800s

1833   

First proposal for a Norwegian Polytechnical Institute is made

This idea is proposed a number of times throughout the 1800s without it coming to fruition.

1870

Trondhjem Technical Vocational School (TTL) is founded 

TTL opened its doors as Norway's first technical college in 1870. Until it closed in 1916, TTL was widely seen as the country's leading institution for technical education. The vocational school was also the forerunner to Trondheim's two biggest educational institutions, the Sør- Trøndelag University College (HiST) and NTNU.

Fremad 17 Oct. 1903

1898

TTL moves to Munkegata 1

The building today is used as Trondheim's City Hall.

Munkegata 1

1900-1949

1900-1949

1900

The Norwegian Storting (Parliament) passes a resolution supporting the establishment of the Norwegian Institute of Technology in Trondheim

After a long debate over where the technical college should be located, the decision was finalized on 31 May 1900

Dagsposten 1 June 1900

1906

A memorial stone is mortared into NTH's main building (Hovedbygningen) on King Haakon VII's coronation day

The memorial stone was placed as high as the building itself had been built.

Memorial stone mortared into the Main Administration building's facade

1910

NTH opens on 15 September

 Opening day 15 September 1910

1910

Studentersamfundet in Trondheim (the Trondheim Student Society) is founded

At the start, the Samfundet was located in the main building. But after a bit, the association moved to the Circus, a circus building on Prinsensgate.
Red more about the histor of Samfundet here.

Circus

1921

Tapir is founded

Students and employees establish their own outlet for stationery and other office supplies.

1922

The Norwegian Teachers College (NLHT) opens at Lade gård.

The college was created as a result of a parliamentary resolution on I June 1922. Only 60 students were permitted to attend the school, because of the size of the school room at Lade Gård

Opening of the Norwegian Teachers College at Lade, 1922

1929

Studentersamfundet moves into the Student Association Building on Elgesetergate 1.

1948

SiT (Studentsamskipnaden i Trondheim) is established

The Storting approves a law to protect student welfare, called the "Law on Student Unions".

1949

The title 'Sivilingeniør' is protected by law

 


 

1950-1999

1950-1999

1950

SINTEF is founded

Read more about the establishment of SINTEF and its relationship to NTH (in Norwegian)

Research at SINTEF 1956

 

1956

Berg student housing opens

Read more about SIT and the construction of the student residences

(in Norwegian)

Berg student housing ca. 1960

1960

The Norwegian Teachers College moves to Rosenborg

Read more about the rapid growth in student numbers at the teachers college (in Norwegian)

Rosenborg Campus 1974

1960s

End of the big postwar building expansion
Read more about the expansion of NTH after 1945

(in Norwegian)

Construction at Gløshaugen, 1958

1968

University of Trondheim (UNIT) is established

Read more about the creation of UNIT

(in Norwegian)

UNIT

1974

Department of Medicine (later the Faculty of Medicine) established at UNIT

First graduating class of medical students from the University of Trondheim

1978

University Centre at Dragvoll is opened

In 1978, all the humanities disciplines from NLHT moved to the first buildings constructed at Dragvoll. The building was the first physical expression of the University of Trondheim. The structure itself became an internationally recognized icon because of its distinctive glassed in walkways linking different buildings. This approach has been copied numerous times in Trondheim and elsewhere (in Trondheim at the Royal Garden and at the Electro building at Gløshaugen). Architect: Henning Larsen.

Kong Olav V places the foundation stone at Dragvoll
1984 The Teachers College changes its name to the College of Arts and Sciences (AVH) AVH shifts to an organizational structure centred around faculties, in line with the University of Oslo and the University of Bergen.
1996

NTNU is established

Read more about the creation of NTNU(in Norwegian)

 NTNU - The Innovative University
1999

Realfagbygget (the Natural Sciences Building) is opened

Realfagbygget