Meetings and field campaigns

ECOSHRUB

Meetings and field campaigns

ECOSHRUB meeting and winter field campaign March 2017 

Summer field campaign 2016

Another great summer with field work in Dovrefjell is over. This year we had exceptionally cold and wet weather, but still managed to keep the tradition with post field day swimming in the lake close to our heath site. Now we know exactly what plants, lichens and bryophytes that grow in our 96 plots, we have recorded fitness of the transplanted willows (which thrive pretty well despite another autumnal moth outbreak this summer) and we are surprised to see that most of the seedlings which emerged two years ago still are alive.

Winter field campaign 2016

The first weekend in April we packed our skis, skins and avalanche probes and headed to the mountains to measure snow depth in our plots. The first day we skied to the meadow and willow site. The weather was cold and windy so we quickly did the measurements and rushed back to the field station. The next day was warm and sunny and we had a great trip to the heath site. The heath snowpack was very thin and some plots were completely snow free as you can see in the photo below.

ECOSHRUB meeting February 2016

Once again we had a successfull ECOSHRUB meeting, with presentations of current and finished projects and planning of the field season of 2016. 

Summer field campaign 2015

The growing season field campaign is running. Click here to read more.


Winter field campaign 2015

In mid March we made a field expedition to measure snow depth in our plots in the three communities. Eventhough the snow cover was scarce this year, skiing into the sites were nessesary. Click here to read more. 


Shrub gang meeting January 2015

This time we gathered the participants and travelled to Dovrefjell. It was nice to see our research area in winter, even though we spent most of the time inside presenting and discussing preliminary results, plans for next field season and possible future projects.

Shrub gang people present at the meeting. From the top left: Christian Stærke, Ivan Nijs, Richard Strimbeck, Bente Graae, Rozalia Kapaz, Sigrid Lindmo, Diana Eckert, Simone Land, Kristian Hassel, and Håkon Holien. From the bottom left: Kristin Odden Nystuen, Mia Vedel Sørensen, Kristine Sundsdal, Mons.  Photo


The end of field season 2014

To celebrate the end of another field season we invited all participants to Dovre in the evening of the last field day. We enjoyed lovely food prepared by our “field cook” before we went for a walk to “Viewpoint Snøhetta” and admired the aurora showing off on the night sky.

The party took place around the fire inside a sami teepee (Lavo) outside of Villreinsentret. Photo


Field campaign 2014

Willows are now successfully planted in our experimental plots and another experimental gradient focusing on dwarf birch encroachment have been established during the summer. We have measured carbon fluxes, albedo and counted numerous seedlings, just to mention some of the activities we have been busy with.

A bunch of tanned field workers posing outside Villreinsenteret at Dovrefjell where we were accommodated part of the season. From top left: Christian, Mia, Karl-Andreas, Kristin, Simen, Øystein Opedal, From bottom left: Rozalia, Håkon, Simone, Øystein. Photo


Shrub gang meeting May 2014

Some of us had just arrived from a longer research stay at the University of Arizona, but we managed to squeeze in a meeting before the field season started. Project presentations and coordination of field work was the main subjects for this meeting, and we’re looking forward to get away from the computer and be in the field again!


Shrub gang meeting December 2013

Just before Christmas we had a group meeting where we presented the ongoing projects for each other and started the planning of next year’s field season. We ended the meeting with a nice potluck with traditional food from different corners of the world. 


Field campaign 2013

The field season was successful as the study sites were found, and the experimental plots with herbivore exclosures were established. We carried out vegetation analysis in every plot, sampled traits for the most abundant plant species and harvested above- and belowground biomass, in other words, a lot of data to start working on already.