Background and activities
Bjarne Foss (born 1957) has been a professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics since 1989. He has a PhD in Engineering Cybernetics and an MSc in Electrical Engineering from NTNU. He belongs to the research group Process Control Systems.
Bjarne Foss startet as Prorector / Vice President Research on Aug. 1, 2017.
- 1989– Full professor at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU
- 2007– Area manager at the IO center at NTNU
Other current duties
- 2002–2005 and 2009– Board member, NTNU
- 2000–2015 Board member, Cybernetica AS
- 2013– Board member, Solution Seeker AS
- Modeling, control and optimization in the upstream petroleum industries
- Production optimization
- Well monitoring
- Model predictive control
- Model based control and optimization
Main supervisor for 29 completed PhD degrees. Project leader for several national industry development projects. Project leader in three international development projects (for ESA and EU).
More than 250 refereed journal papers, conference publications and book-chapters.
H-factor 35, 4500 citations (http://scholar.google.no/citations?user=-d7XYwsAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao)
Co-author of one book. Guest editor Journal of Process Control, Int.J.Control and MIC.
A substantial number of restricted technical reports and international keynotes and invited lectures.
- 1993- Member The Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA)
- 1994- Chair, co-chair and member of several IPCs (International Program Comittees)
- 1996- Member IFAC Technical Committee on Chemical Process Control
- 1996-2010 Associate editor - Journal of Process Control
- 1996-2004 Member editorial board - Mathematical Modelling
- 1997- Senior Member IEEE
- 2007- Member SPE
- 2008- Member of the The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (founded 1760)
- 2000 Co-founder – Cybernetica AS
- 2000 Co-founder FIRST Scandinavia
- 2013 Co-founder – Solution Seeker AS
- 1980: “Innstilling” awarded for the siv.ing. (MSc) degree–communicated to the Norwegian King.
- 1995: The Karl Diesel Best Paper Award from the Society of Design & Process Science, Austin, Texas.
- 2007: Award for pedagogical innovation “Pedagogisk nybrottsarbeid” by Tekna -The Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals
- 2010: 2010 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
- 2011: 2011 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Echo State Networks for data-driven downhole pressure estimation in gas-lift oil wells. Neural Networks.
- (2016) An Augmented Lagrangian Method for Optimal Control of Continuous Time DAE Systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2016) Black-oil minimal fluid state parametrization for constrained reservoir control optimization. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 143.
- (2016) A two-layer structure for stabilization and optimization of an oil gathering network. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Global optimization of multiphase flow networks using spline surrogate models. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 84.
- (2016) On selection of controlled variables for robust reservoir management. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 147.
- (2016) Spline Fluid Models for Optimization. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Well placement optimization subject to realistic fielddevelopment constraints. Computational Geosciences. vol. 20 (6).
- (2016) Shale-gas wells as virtual storage for supporting intermittent renewables. Energy Policy. vol. 102.
- (2016) Real-Time Optimization under Uncertainty Applied to a Gas Lifted Well Network. Processes. vol. 4.
- (2015) Profit and risk measures in oil production optimization. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) A mean-variance objective for robust production optimization in uncertain geological scenarios. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 125.
- (2015) Output-Constraint Handling and Parallelization for Oil-Reservoir Control Optimization by Means of Multiple Shooting. SPE Journal. vol. 20 (04).
- (2015) Production optimization - Facilitated by divide and conquer strategies. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) Virtual Flow Metering using B-spline Surrogate Models. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) Production optimization under uncertainty-applied to petroleum production. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (8).
- (2015) Scenario based implicit dual model predictive control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (23).
- (2015) Production optimization under uncertainty with constraint handling. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) Optimal Switching Time Control of Petroleum Reservoirs. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 131.
- (2015) MPC-based dual control with online experiment design. Journal of Process Control. vol. 32.