Background and activities
Andreas Giannakis is PhD student with the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU, at the Department of Electric Power Engineering, in Trondheim, Norway. He is working on the Medium Voltage DC Circuit Breakers since 2017 under the supervision of Ass. Prof. Peftitsis.
He received a Diploma (300 ECTS) in 2014 from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Patras, in Patra, Greece. His specialization field was the Electric Power Systems for 2 years and his diploma thesis took place during the last year. It was related to Renewable Energy Sources and more specifically to Photovoltaics. Moreover, he holds a MSc from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Democritus University of Thrace, in Xanthi, Greece since 2016. His specialization was in Electric Power Engineering and he worked on the control aspects of a grid connected wind turbine for his MSc thesis. During his Master study, he was also a teaching assistant. After that, he spent a year working on a private Tutorial Center as a tutor in Xanthi.
His research interests include Power Electronics, Power Converters, Semiconductor Devices, DC Microgrids and Circuit Breakers.
List of Publications
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) A universal automatic and self-powered gate driver power supply for normally-ON SiC JFETs. IET Power Electronics.
- (2021) Performance Evaluation and Limitations of Overvoltage Suppression Circuits for Low- and Medium-Voltage DC Solid-State Breakers. IEEE Open Journal of Power Electronics (OJPE). vol. 2.
Part of book/report
- (2021) An Automatic and Self-Powered Solid-State DC breaker with Normally-ON SiC JFETs. PCIM Europe digital days 2021; International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management.
- (2021) Voltage Balancing Considerations for Series-Connected IGBTs in MV Solid-State DC Breakers. 2021 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition – Asia (ECCE-Asia 2021).
- (2021) Reduction of Parasitic Inductance and Thermal Management in a Multichip SiC Half-Bridge Module. PCIM Europe digital days 2021; International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management.
- (2019) Analytical design considerations for MVDC solid-state circuit breakers. EPE'19 ECCE Europe.
- (2019) Electro-thermal Design of a Solid-State MVDC Circuit Breaker. 2019 10th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia - ICPE 2019 - ECCE Asia.
- (2019) Performance evaluation of high power semiconductor devices employed in solid-state circuit breakers for MVDC grids. EPE'19 ECCE Europe.
- (2018) Design Considerations of Power Semiconductor Devices Employed in VSCs Under Short-Circuit Fault Conditions in MVDC Distribution Grids. 20th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 2018.
- (2018) MVDC Distribution Grids and Potential Applications: Future Trends and Protection Challenges. 20th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 2018.