Background and activities
Aravinda Perera was born in 1984 in Colombo, Sri Lanka. He obtained the B.Sc. Engineering (Honours) Degree from the University of Moratuwa and M.Sc. Engineering Degree from Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in 2009 and 2012 respectively, both in electrical engineering.
Presently, he is reading a Ph.D. degree in NTNU in the field of power electronics. Prior to that, Aravinda has worked in the industry for nearly 10 years. From 2012 to 2018 he was employed by Siemens AS, Norway where he was involved in several R&D projects related to marine and subsea applications.
Aravinda has authored several patents and international conference articles. His research interests include wide-band-gap devices, electric drives, control, and estimation methods, and embedded control implementation methods.
Short Summary of Research
Click here for the long summary of the research and search my name in the pdf.
Background and Motivation
Deep-sea mineral mining is an extremely demanding application that requires electric drives for the seabed mining machines with high reliability, power density and efficiency. In looking at the relevant seabed environments and the nature of certain loads, the electric motors will encounter varying temperatures and stall-torque scenarios.
A 6-phase interior permanent magnet synchronous machine (IPMSM) with isolated star-points to ensure redundancy is investigated under the following research directions;
- Temperature-sensitive parameter tracking online
- Adaptive torque-control
- Shaft sensor-less rotor position estimation across the full speed range
Proof of Concept
The concepts are to be proven with a laboratory-scale 6-phase IPMSM drive. Si IGBT based, two sets of 2-level, 3-phase PWM-inverters shall be used in the prototype. The embedded real-time simulator (ERTS) as shown in the figure is developed which contains dynamic models of the hardware in the FPGA and the control and estimation algorithms in the on-chip processor. ERTS can also be used to validate the concepts.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Full Speed Range Sensorless IPMSM Drive Enhanced with Online Parameter Identification. IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC) . IEEE; Connecticut. 2021-05-17 - 2022-08-20.
- (2021) Gauss-Newton: A prediction-error-gradient based algorithm to track PMSM parameters online. 2020 IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics Drives and Energy Systems - PEDES.
- (2021) A Design Method of an Embedded Real-Time Simulator for Electric Drives using Low-Cost System-on-Chip Platform. PCIM Europe digital days 2021; International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management.
- (2020) A Recursive Prediction Error Method with Effective Use of Gradient-Functions to Adapt PMSM-Parameters Online. Conference Record of the 2020 IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting - IAS.
- (2020) A Framework and an Open-Loop Method to Identify PMSM Parameters Online. The 23rd International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems.
- (2020) A Sensorless Control Method for IPMSM with an Open-Loop Predictor for Online Parameter Identification. The 23rd International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems.
- (2018) Electric motor drive system for highly reliable and productive mining machines for deep-sea. Underwater Mining Conference . International Marine Minerals Society (IMMS); Bergen. 2018-09-10 - 2018-09-14.