Background and activities
Design, Modelling and Analysis of Real-World Cryptographic Authentication and Key-Exchange Protocols
Secure channels are one of the most pivotal building blocks of communication in the modern, digital world. Internet connections, secure messaging apps, protected IoT data, etc., all rely upon the security of the underlying communication channel. Without channel security any person can forge messages, transactions, and data for in another's name. Key exchange protocols are used to establish such channels: two or more parties agree on a secret "key" to be used for securing the channel.
Research Areas in Cryptography:
Low-Latency / 0-RTT Protocols
Recently accepted publications:
- Secure Channels and Termination: The Last Word on TLS. Colin Boyd, Britta Hale. Proceedings of Latincrypt, Cuba. 2017.
- Simple Security Definitions for and Constructions of 0-RTT Key Exchange. Britta Hale, Tibor Jager, Sebastian Lauer, Jörg Schwenk. Proceedings of Applied Cryptography and Network Security (ACNS), Japan. 2017.
- Expanding ACCE: Robust Secure Channel Establishment. Britta Hale. Proceedings of Norwegian Information Security Conference (NISK), Oslo. 2017.
- User Understanding and Perspectives on End-to-End Encrypted Instant Messaging Apps. Charlotte S. Rikardsen, Britta Hale, Stig F. Mjølsnes. Proceedings of Norwegian Information Security Conference (NISK), Oslo. 2017.
Co-supervised master projects and theses:
- Secure Instant Messaging End-to-End - Analysis of Security Protocols. Master Thesis, Charlotte Rikardsen.
- Security and Key Establishment in IEEE 802.15.4. Master Thesis, Eirik Klevstad.
- Security of Internet of Things Protocol Stacks. Master Thesis, Øystein Løvdal Andersen.
- Secure Termination in Real-World Security Protocols. Master Thesis, Jonas Toreskås.
- The Cost of Crypt-by-Default in IoT. Master Project, Mari Bergendahl.
- Enhanced Privacy ID for Authentication in the Internet of Things. Master Project, Kristian Weium Lange.
- Android App Communication Using the Tor network only. Master Project, Steffen Fredrik Birkeland and Jonathan Hansen.
- Security of Domestic Products in the IoT. Master Thesis, Henriette Chiem.
- Security of Mobile Payments using Low Energy Bluetooth. Master Project, Christian A. Hansen and Håkon Nymo Matland.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
Part of book/report
- (2017) 0-RTT Key Exchange with Full Forward Secrecy. Advances in Cryptology – EUROCRYPT 2017 : 36th Annual International Conference on the Theory and Applications of Cryptographic Techniques, Paris, France, April 30 – May 4, 2017, Proceedings, Part III.
- (2016) From Stateless to Stateful: Generic Authentication and Authenticated Encryption Constructions with Application to TLS. Topics in Cryptology - CT-RSA 2016 The Cryptographers' Track at the RSA Conference 2016, San Francisco, CA, USA, February 29 - March 4, 2016, Proceedings.
- (2014) Computationally Analyzing the ISO 9798-2.4 Authentication Protocol. Security Standardisation Research: First International Conference, SSR 2014, London, UK, December 16-17, 2014. Proceedings.
- (2017) 0-RTT Key Exchange with Full Forward Secrecy. Eurocrypt 2017 ; Paris, France. 2017-04-30 - 2017-05-04.
- (2017) Deep Web and Dark Web. Samfundsmøte: Dark Web ; Trondheim, Norway. 2017-01-14 - 2017-01-14.
- (2017) Signal: What, Why, How. CryptoParties Trondheim ; Trondheim. 2017-01-19 - 2017-01-19.
- (2016) Secure Channels and Termination: The Last Word on TLS. Secure Key Exchange and Channel Protocols (SKECH) Workshop 2016 . Marc Fischlin, Bogdan Warinschi; Bertinoro, Italy. 2016-07-01 - 2016-07-04.
- (2016) A Hierarchy of Authentication and Authenticated Encryption Constructions with Application to TLS. TU-Darmstadt Invited Talk . Marc Fischlin; Darmstadt, Germany. 2016-04-21 - 2016-04-21.
- (2016) From Stateless to Stateful: Generic Authentication and Authenticated Encryption Constructions with Application to TLS. CT-RSA 2016 ; San Francisco, USA. 2016-02-29 - 2016-03-04.
- (2016) Stateful Authentication and AEAD Experiments: Constructing a Bridge in the Analysis of TLS. COINS Finse Winter School 2016 . Tor Helleseth, Britta Hale, Hanno Langweg; Finse, Norway. 2016-04-24 - 2016-04-29.
- (2016) From Key Exchange to Secure Channels: Analysis of Real-World Protocols. NIS PhD Milestone Seminar ; Trondheim, Norway. 2016-03-17 - 2016-03-18.
- (2016) A Perfect Memory: Key Compromise in an Efficiency-centric World. Crypto vs. Mass Surveillance ; Trondheim, Norway. 2016-11-14 - 2016-11-14.
- (2016) CARIBE: Cascaded IBE for Maximum Flexibility and User-side Control. MyCrypt 2016: Paradigm-Shifting Crypto ; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 2016-12-01 - 2016-12-02.
- (2015) Implications between Authentication Levels and Secure Termination. CryptoAction Meeting of WG2 Protocol Analysis . Christina Brzuska , COST Action; Sofia, Bulgaria. 2015-04-26 - 2015-04-26.
- (2015) CARIBE-S: A Cascaded IBE Scheme for Maximum Flexibility and User-side Control. IFIP WG 11.4 Workshop – iNetSec 2015 . IBM Research – Zurich Lab; Zurich, Switzerland. 2015-10-29 - 2015-10-30.
- (2014) Computationally Analyzing the ISO 9798-2.4 Authentication Protocol. SSR'14 ; Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, UK. 2014-12-16 - 2014-12-17.