Background and activities
The potential of using microalgae for a variety of biotechnological applications (food source, fish feed, omega-3 source) is widely known. A discrepancy clearly exists between the well-recognized commercial potential of microalgal species and the actual industrial development. This is mainly due to low efficiency of light utilization during photosynthesis. A single cell can waste up to 90% of the photons absorbed. A variety of microalgal-mutated strains will be produced using both genetic engineering tools (CRISPR-Cas9) and direct evolution and tested using molecular and bio-optical methods. These findings aims to gain a better understanding of the photosynthetic process and identify the molecular actors responsible for assembling and regulating the photosystems and the light harvesting proteins. In this scenario, the possibility to identify mutant strains with a higher production capacity and therefore better suited for industrial purposes will be addressed.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Functional studies of CpSRP54 in diatoms show that the mechanism of thylakoid protein insertion differ from that in plants and green algae. The Plant Journal.
- (2019) Loss of ALBINO3b insertase results in truncated light-harvesting antenna in diatoms. Plant Physiology. vol. 181 (3).
- (2020) Downsizing the light harvesting antenna through gene editing of the CpSRP pathway in marine diatoms. The 56th NBS contact meeting 2020 ; 2020-01-23 - 2020-01-26.
- (2019) A systems analysis of the light harvesting complex in diatoms. 14th Nordic Photosynthesis Conference ; Turku. 2019-05-22 - 2019-05-24.
- (2019) Strain optimization of the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. BIOPROSP_19 . Tekna; Tromsø. 2019-02-25 - 2019-02-27.
- (2019) Characterization of the light-harvesting complex in the ALB3b knock out lines of the diatom Phaeodacthylum tricornutum. NBS winter meeting 2019 . NBS; Røros. 2019-01-24 - 2019-01-27.
- (2019) ANALYSIS OF THE ALB3B KNOCK OUT LINES OF THE DIATOM PHAEODACTHYLUM TRICORNUTUM BASED ON RESONANCE RAMAN SPECTROSCOPY. EPC7 . University of Zagreb; Zagreb. 2019-08-25 - 2019-08-30.
- (2018) Genome editing of marine microalgae for characterization and metabolic engineering. Aqua2018 . World Aquaculture Society and European Aquaculture Society; Montpellier. 2018-08-25 - 2018-08-29.
- (2018) Genredigering av marine mikroalger - Kan endringer av algenes lyshøstingsegenskaper øke produktiviteten?. HAVBRUK 2018 . Forskningsrådet i samarbeid med Fiskeri- og havbruksnæringen; Oslo. 2018-04-18 - 2018-04-20.
- (2017) FUNCTIONAL STUDIES OF THE LIGHT HARVESTING COMPLEX IN MARINE DIATOMS USING CRISPR/CAS9. ASLO . ASLO; Honolulu, Hawaii. 2017-02-26 - 2017-03-03.