Background and activities
After secondary school and alternative service, Dr. Backi studied Engineering Cybernetics at the University of Stuttgart/Germany, where he majored in "Automation in Power Engineering" at the Institute of Combustion and Power Plant Technology. He completed his mandatory internship at the Siemens AG, Sector Energy, Power Plant Control Group in Erlangen/Germany, where he also wrote his diploma thesis titled "Design and Test of an LQG-Controller for the Enthalpy-control of a Once-Through-Boiler". Dr. Backi graduated in December 2009 as Diplom-Ingenieur in Engineering Cybernetics (equivalent to M.Sc.).
From April 2011 to August 2015 he was a PhD Canditate at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Title of the PhD-Thesis: "Modeling, Estimation and Control of Freezing and Thawing Processes - Theory and Applications" supervised by Professor Jan Tommy Gravdahl. In parallel to his PhD studies, Dr. Backi worked as a researcher at SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture in Trondheim/Norway in several projects from March 2014 to June 2015.
Since September 2015 he is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Chemical Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in the project "SUBPRO - Subsea production and processing" under the supervision of Professor Sigurd Skogestad.
His research interests include, but are not limited to:
- (non)linear control
- process modeling and control
- optimal control
- control and systems theory
- (nonlinear) observer design
- thermodynamic processes
- partial differential equations.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Nonlinear modeling and control for an evaporator unit. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 78.
- (2018) Simple method for parameter identification of a nonlinear Greitzer compressor model. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2018) A control- and estimation-oriented gravity separator model for oil and gas applications based upon first principles. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. vol. 57 (21).
- (2018) Slug handling with a virtual harp based on nonlinear predictive control for a gravity separator. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2018) Virtual inflow estimation with simplified tuning using cascaded and Kalman-like least squares observers. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 43.
- (2018) Improved PI control for a surge tank satisfying level constraints. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (4).
- (2018) A comparative study of quality and safety of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) fillets during cold storage, as affected by different thawing methods of pre-rigor frozen headed and gutted fish. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. vol. 98 (1).
- (2018) Effects of controlled thawing media temperatures on quality and safety of pre-rigor frozen Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 90.
- (2017) Enthalpy control for the feed water supply in a once-through boiler with disturbance estimation. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) Methods for (industrial) thawing of fish blocks: A review. Journal of food process engineering. vol. 41 (1).
- (2017) A simple dynamic gravity separator model for separation efficiency evaluation incorporating level and pressure control. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2017) A model for subsea oil-water gravity separator to estimate unmeasured disturbances. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 40.
- (2017) Anti-slug control based on a virtual flow measurement. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation. vol. 53.
- (2016) A heat equation for freezing processes with phase change: stability analysis and applications. International Journal of Control. vol. 89 (4).
- (2016) Robust control of a two-state Greitzer compressor model by state-feedback linearization. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2016) Optimal boundary control of a contact thawing process for foodstuff. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2015) Stability properties of a heat equation with state-dependent parameters and asymmetric boundary conditions. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (11).
- (2014) Estimation of inner-domain temperatures for a freezing process. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2014) The nonlinear heat equation with state-dependent parameters and its connection to the Burgers' and the potential Burgers' equation. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 47 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Virtual inflow monitoring for a three phase gravity separator. 2017 IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA).
- (2013) Optimal boundary control for the heat equation with application to freezing with phase change. Proceedings of the 3rd Australian Control Conference: AUCC 2013.
- (2013) Nonlinear observer design for a Greitzer compressor model. 21st Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation.
- (2015) Development and assessment of novel technologies improving the fishing operation and on board processing with respect to environmental impact and fish quality (DANTEQ). 2015. ISBN 978-82-14-06014-0.
- (2015) Modeling, Estimation and Control of Freezing and Thawing Processes - Theory and Applications. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2015. ISBN 978-82-326-1302-1. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2015:323).
- (2018) Comparative study of Kalman Filter-based observers with simplified tuning procedures. 21st Nordic Process Control Workshop ; 2018-01-18 - 2018-01-19.
- (2017) A control- and estimation-oriented gravity separator model. VI Oil and Gas Production Optimization Workshop . Petrobras, NTNU, Federal University of Santa Catarina; Rio de Janeiro. 2017-04-26.
- (2017) Modeling and Control in Subsea Engineering. Colloquium Series at Aalborg University . Dept. of Electronic Systems, Automation and Control Section; Aalborg University. 2017-05-09.
- (2017) Modeling of subsea processes. First Workshop of the Brazilian-Norwegian Subsea Operations Consortium . Brazilian-Norwegian Subsea Operations Consortium; Rio de Janeiro. 2017-04-24.
- (2017) Population Balance Equation for Calculation of the Inlet Distribution for Oil and Water Droplets in Continuous Gravity Separators. 2017 AIChE Annual Meeting . American Institute of Chemical Engineers; Minneapolis. 2017-10-29 - 2017-11-03.
- (2017) Quality & safety of frozen-thawed Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) fillets during chilled storage. World Seafood Congress ; Reykjavik. 2017-09-10 - 2017-09-13.
- (2016) A gravity separator model for liquid level control and purity evaluation of oil and water phases. 20th Nordic Process Control Workshop ; Sigtuna. 2016-08-24 - 2016-08-26.
- (2015) A reduced observer design for a freezing process in plate freezers. 19th Nordic Process Control Workshop . Nordic Working Group on Process Control; On the Coastal Steamer "Richard With" from Trondheim to Bodø. 2015-01-15 - 2015-01-16.
- (2014) Simulering og optimalisering av prosesslinjer. FishTech 2014 . SINTEF Fiskeri og havbruk AS, FHF; Ålesund. 2014-01-15 - 2014-01-16.
- (2013) Optimal Neumann boundary control for a freezing process with phase change. 18th Nordic Process Control Workshop . University of Oulu; Oulu. 2013-08-20 - 2013-08-23.
- (2012) Modeling of the freezing process for fish in vertical plate freezers. 17th Nordic Process Control Workshop . Technical University of Denmark; Copenhagen. 2012-01-26 - 2012-01-27.
- Electrical power engineering
- Fisheries technology
- Mathematic modelling and numerical methods
- Offshore technology
- Petroleum engineering
- Technical cybernetics
- Parameter and state estimation
- Control technology
- Refrigeration Engineering
- Theory of regulation
- Nonlinear control
- Theory of estimation
- Food processing