Background and activities
Architect NTH, 1974. PhD. 2006. Professor at the Department of Architectural History and Technology. Has worked as planner in Selbu municipality, architect at Asplan Viak and research director at SINTEF. The research field is sustainable protection and development of urban heritage.
2006 Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) in Architectural History with the thesis: “The wooden town of Trondheim – A study of an urban planning discourse”
1985 NORDPLAN, Nordic Institute for community planning, Stockholm
1974 Master in Architecture at Norwegian University of Technology, Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art,
1969 Examen artium, Firda gymnas
2015 - Department of Architectural Design, History and Technology
Position: Professor, Field of work: Research within Architectural and Urban conservation
2010 – 2013 Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
Position: Vice Dean of Research and Architectural and Artistic Development.
2009 - 2015 Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art. Department of Urban Design and Planning
Position: Professor, Field of work: Teaching and research on sustainable urban development
2006 - 2009 SINTEF Building and Infrastructure
Position: Senior Researcher / Research manager
2003 - 2006 Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art at NTNU
Position: Research fellow / PhD-candidate
1996 - 2003 SINTEF Civil and Environmental Engineering
Position: Research Director.
Field of work: Leader of Department of Architecture and Building Technology
1992- SINTEF Architecture and Building Technology.
Posiition: Research Director.
Field of work: Leader of research department within architecture and building technology
1983- NORCONSULT AS, Short time engagement
Field of work: Development of Master Directive Plans for several towns in the Al Quassim Region in Saudi Arabia.
1980- 92 Asplan Trondheim AS
Position: Group leader
Field of work: Area plans/-analyses. Environmental impact analyses.
1978-80 Asplan AS Molde
Field of work: Development of county plans
1975-77 Municipality of Selbu
Position: Municipal planner
Field of work: Master plans, zoning plans, executive work
1974- Department of Town and Regional Planning, NTH
Position: Research assistant
Field of work: Teaching and research
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Managing urban heritage - A case study of the warehouses in Kjøpmannsgata, Trondheim, Norway. Planning Practice & Research.
- (2018) Ny bruk av verneverdige helsebygg. Årbok - Foreningen til norske fortidsminnesmerkers bevaring.
- (2016) Vernetanken i byplandiskursen. Heimen - Lokal og regional historie. vol. 53 (2).
- (2015) Klimanøytral bydel på Brøset - eit bidrag til eit nytt planleggingsparadigme?. Kart og plan. vol. 75, årg. 108 (4).
- (2007) Saving The Wooden Town Of Trondheim - A Study of an Urban Planning Discourse. Nordisk arkitekturforskning.
- (2017) Forum Wood Building / Nordic Trondheim 17. 2017. ISBN 978-82-7551-2060-.
- (2017) Does elements of nature have a healing effect? The impact of wooden materials and landscape pictures in patient rooms. 2017. ISBN 978-82-7551-2060-.
- (2014) Trebyen Trondheim - modernisering og vern. Ein studie av byplandebatten 1960 - 2005. Fagbokforlaget. 2014. ISBN 978-82-450-1719-9.
Part of book/report
- (2019) Aksjonisme og bymiljøvernet. Fortidsminneforeningens Årbok 2019 Aktivisme.
- (2019) Byutvikling mellom tradisjon og modernitet. Bysamfunn.
- (2017) How does the carbon-neutral settlement of Brøset contribute to a new planning paradigm in planning the urban fabric?. Urban Planning and Environment. Nordic Experiences of Sustainable Planning. Policy and Pract.
- (2014) The Carbon-neutral Settlement of Broeset. Towards a new paradigm in urban planning?. Cities in transformation : research & design : ideas, methods, techniques, tools, case studies.
- (2014) Eco-technic or Eco-centric? A study of Discourses on Sustainable Urban Fabric and Transport. Utopia Revisited. Towards a Carbon-Neutral Neighborhood at Brøset.
- (2014) Sustainable Transport - Approaches and Challenges. Utopia Revisited. Towards a Carbon-Neutral Neighborhood at Brøset.
- (2011) Mot ei berekraftig byutvikling. ARKITEKTUR I HUNDRE - Arkitektutdanningen i Trondheim 1910 - 2010.
- (2018) PICH Comparison report - Historic Urban Core. 2018.
- (2018) The impact of urban planning and governance reform on the historic built environment and intangible cultural heritage (PICH). 2018. ISBN 978-94-6186-923-4.
- (2018) Country report Norway. 2018.
- (2018) The historic urban core - Case study of the warehouses in Kjøpmannsgata. PICH case study 1. 2018.
- (2018) Transforming industrial heritage: Case study of the old shipyard at Nedre Elvehavn. 2018.