Enthusiastic marine engineer with over six years of experience in the industry and academia. Passionate about marine engineering, marketing, and innovation. Motivated to learn, grow, and excel in the marine industry.
In his master's thesis, he worked on the seakeeping analysis and control system design for motion control of a crew transfer vessel (CTV) to safe crew transfer to offshore wind turbines. Currently, he is a PhD candidate in Marine Hydrodynamics, working on improving the ship efficiency at sea in order to have more greener shipping. Various aspects of ship design are covered in the project, including hydrostatics, calm water resistance, added resistance due to waves and winds, seakeeping, propulsion system, hull design, and environmental analysis. The project's aim is to propose effective methods to improve the ship design for real sea states, resulting in environmentally friendly shipping.
The project mainly aims to answer the following question:
Should ships be designed for calm water or real sea state?
Other objectives are as follows:
- Finding reliable solutions to design ships efficient in seaways
- Design ships with more energy-efficient to be close to IMO targets
- Finding general solutions efficient for different categories of ships
Supervisor: Prof. Sverre Steen
Co-supervisors: Prof. Kourosh Koushan, Prof. Stein Ove Erikstad
He is involved in the following volunteer activities:
- Head of Marketing and Creative Team at TEDx Trondheim
- Organizer of IMT webinars
- Organizer in Technical Thursday events at IMT
- Organizer in IMT PhDs & PostDOCs Social team
- IMT communication team
- Reviewers in the journals of Marine Science and Technology (2018-) and Ocean Engineering (2020-)
- Member of Norwegian Red Cross
- Ehsan Esmailian, Hassan Gholami, Harald Nils Røstvik, and Mohammad Bagher Menhaj. (2019) A novel method for optimal performance of ships by simultaneous optimisation of hull-propulsion-BIPV systems. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 197.
- Farzanegan, Behzad, Ehsan Esmailian, and Mohammad Bagher Menhaj. (2019) A data-driven method for optimal control of ship motions for safe crew transfer to offshore wind turbines. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 90.
- Ehsan Esmailian, Behzad Farzanegan, Mohammad Bagher Menhaj, Hassan Ghassemi. (2018) A Robust Neuro-based Adaptive Control System Design for a Surface Effect Ship with Uncertain Dynamics and Input Saturation to Cargo Transfer at Sea. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 74.
- Hamid Malekizade, Bijan Moaveni, Mohammad Reza Jahed-motlagh, Ehsan Esmailian, Akbari Vakilabadi. (2018) Coefficients Extraction of Model and Constrained Controller Design for Fin-Roll Stabilizer System in a Fishing Boat. Journal of Ship Production and Design. vol. 34.
- Ehsan Esmailian, Hassan Ghassemi, and Hassan Zakerdoost. (2017) Systematic probabilistic design methodology for simultaneously optimizing the ship hull–propeller system, International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering. vol. 9.
- Mazhar Ansari Ardeh, Mohammad Bagher Menhaj, Ehsan Esmailian, Hessam Zandhessami. (2017) EXPLICA: An Explorative Imperialist Competitive Algorithm based on the notion of Explorers with an expansive retention policy. Applied Soft Computing. vol. 54.
- Ehsan Esmailian, Farzanegan B, Malekizadeh H, Ghassemi H, Fadavi Ardestani M, Menhaj M B. (2017) Control System Design for a Surface Effect Ship by Linear-Quadratic Regulator Method. Journal of Marine Engineering. vol. 13.
- Ehsan Esmailian, Hassan Ghassemi, and Seyyed Abbas Heidari. (2014) Numerical Investigation of the Performance of Voith Schneider Propulsion. American Journal of Marine Science, vol. 2.