Background and activities
Else Berit Skagen has been the Head of the Department of Biology since October, 2013.
She has degrees in botany and cell biology as well as pedagogy.
- Assistant professor, Pro-Rector for Research and Development, Queen Maud University College of Early Childhood Education (QMUC) (2010-2013)
- Adviser - Rector finance and property staff (2005-2010)
- Head of Office at The Department of Marine Technology, NTNU (2002-2005)
- Adviser at The Faculty of Marine Technology, NTNU (2001)
- Project manager/research coordinator, Norwegian Space Centre, (2000)
- Researcher, Allforsk (1999-2000)
- PhD in botany specializing in cell biology at the Department of Biology, NTNU (1994-1999)
- Pedagogy degree at the Department of Teacher Education and School Development (ALS), University of Trondheim (UNIT) (1994)
- Cand. Scient. in Botany; Cell Biology at The Department of Botany, University of Trondheim (UNIT), Norwegian College of General Sciences (AVH) (1993)
- Cand. Mag. with focus in Biology at UNIT, AVH (1992)
- Norwegian delegate in steering groups and advisory bodies in ESA (European Space Agency) (2000-2001)
- 16 articles and proceedings in peer-reviewed journals; botany and cell biology
- Reports on the development of equipment for use in the International Space Station (ISS)
- Several lectures in Norway and abroad; methodology and basic cell biology research and later regarding governance; objectives and performance management in the higher education sector.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2000) 3-D reconstruction of Arabidopsis thaliana root statocytes exposed to different gravity conditions.Microscopy and Analysis, p.17-19,Mars 2000. Microscopy and Analysis.
- (2000) Effect of simulated and real weightlessnes on early regeneration stages of Brassia napus protoplasts. In vitro cellular & developmental biology. Plant.
- (2000) Essential oil composition of Norwegian peppermint (Mentha x piperita L.) and sachalinmint (Mentha sachalinensis Briq. (Kudô)). Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica - Section B. vol. 50 (3-4).
- (2000) Production of yarrow (Achillea millefolium L.) in Norway: Essential oil content and quality. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. vol. 48 (12).
- (2000) Production of yarrow in Norway - essential oil content and quality. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- (1999) Effect of a microgravity environment and influences of variations in gravity on the regeneration of rapeseed plant protoplasts flown on the S/MM-03 mission. Biorack on Spacehab : Biological Experiments on Three Shuttle-to-Mir Missions.
- (1999) Simulated weightlessness and hyper-g results in opposite effects on the regeneration of the cortical microtubule array in protoplasts from Brassia napus hypocotyls. Physiol.Plant..
- (1998) Effect of a microgravity environment and influences of variations in grevity on the regeneration of rapeseed plant protoplasts flown on the S/MM-00 mission, ESA. SP-1222.
- (1997) Immobilized protoplast under microgravity conditions. Preliminary results from S/MM-03 mission, Proc. 6th Symnp. Life Sci. in Space. ESA SP.
- (1994) Preparatory tests for immunodetection of microtubules in protoplasts during IML-2. Microgravity Quarterly. vol. 2.
- (1994) Preparatory tests for immunodetection of microtubules in protoplasts during IML-2. Microgravity Quarterly. vol. 4 (2).
- (2002) Root Support and Nutrient Supply - Root Support and Nutrient Supply Results using the PCC Demonstration Model. 2002.
- (2000) Root Support and Nutrient Supply - Identification and detailing of requirements Technical Note 1. 2000.
- (1999) Fumo Study Results Functional Testing. Technical Note 1,Familiarisation, Integration into Ted Bed and Functional Testing. 1999.
- (1993) Preparatory tests for immunodetection of microtubules in protoplasts during IML-2 (Manuscript). 1993.