Else Berit Skagen
Background and activities
Else Berit Skagen has been the Head of the Department of Biology since October, 2013.
She has degrees in botany and cell biology as well as pedagogy.
- Assistant professor, Pro-Rector for Research and Development, Queen Maud University College of Early Childhood Education (QMUC) (2010-2013)
- Adviser - Rector finance and property staff (2005-2010)
- Head of Office at The Department of Marine Technology, NTNU (2002-2005)
- Adviser at The Faculty of Marine Technology, NTNU (2001)
- Project manager/research coordinator, Norwegian Space Centre, (2000)
- Researcher, Allforsk (1999-2000)
- PhD in botany specializing in cell biology at the Department of Biology, NTNU (1994-1999)
- Pedagogy degree at the Department of Teacher Education and School Development (ALS), University of Trondheim (UNIT) (1994)
- Cand. Scient. in Botany; Cell Biology at The Department of Botany, University of Trondheim (UNIT), Norwegian College of General Sciences (AVH) (1993)
- Cand. Mag. with focus in Biology at UNIT, AVH (1992)
- Norwegian delegate in steering groups and advisory bodies in ESA (European Space Agency) (2000-2001)
- 16 articles and proceedings in peer-reviewed journals; botany and cell biology
- Reports on the development of equipment for use in the International Space Station (ISS)
- Several lectures in Norway and abroad; methodology and basic cell biology research and later regarding governance; objectives and performance management in the higher education sector.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2000) 3-D reconstruction of Arabidopsis thaliana root statocytes exposed to different gravity conditions.Microscopy and Analysis, p.17-19,Mars 2000. Microscopy and Analysis.
- (2000) Effect of simulated and real weightlessnes on early regeneration stages of Brassia napus protoplasts. In vitro cellular & developmental biology. Plant.
- (2000) Essential oil composition of Norwegian peppermint (Mentha x piperita L.) and sachalinmint (Mentha sachalinensis Briq. (Kudô)). Acta Agriculturæ Scandinavica - Section B, Soil and Plant Science. vol. 50 (3-4).
- (2000) Production of yarrow (Achillea millefolium L.) in Norway: Essential oil content and quality. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. vol. 48 (12).
- (2000) Production of yarrow in Norway - essential oil content and quality. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- (1999) Effect of a microgravity environment and influences of variations in gravity on the regeneration of rapeseed plant protoplasts flown on the S/MM-03 mission. Biorack on Spacehab : Biological Experiments on Three Shuttle-to-Mir Missions.
- (1999) Simulated weightlessness and hyper-g results in opposite effects on the regeneration of the cortical microtubule array in protoplasts from Brassia napus hypocotyls. Physiol.Plant..
- (1998) Effect of a microgravity environment and influences of variations in grevity on the regeneration of rapeseed plant protoplasts flown on the S/MM-00 mission, ESA. SP-1222.
- (1997) Immobilized protoplast under microgravity conditions. Preliminary results from S/MM-03 mission, Proc. 6th Symnp. Life Sci. in Space. ESA SP.
- (1994) Preparatory tests for immunodetection of microtubules in protoplasts during IML-2. Microgravity Quarterly. vol. 2.
- (1994) Preparatory tests for immunodetection of microtubules in protoplasts during IML-2. Microgravity Quarterly. vol. 4 (2).
- (2002) Root Support and Nutrient Supply - Root Support and Nutrient Supply Results using the PCC Demonstration Model. 2002.
- (2000) Root Support and Nutrient Supply - Identification and detailing of requirements Technical Note 1. 2000.
- (1999) Fumo Study Results Functional Testing. Technical Note 1,Familiarisation, Integration into Ted Bed and Functional Testing. 1999.
- (1993) Preparatory tests for immunodetection of microtubules in protoplasts during IML-2 (Manuscript). 1993.