Ernst Gunnar Gran
Background and activities
Ernst Gunnar Gran is an associate professor at the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology at NTNU, where he conducts research in the intersection between high performance computing (HPC), HPC interconnection networks, enterprise data centre networks, cloud computing, and data-intensive processing in multi-clouds. In addition, Ernst holds a position as an adjunct research scientist at Simula Research Laboratory, where he until Dec. 2016 headed the Cloud department. Currently, Ernst act as the Scientific Leader of Communication Technologies in the RCN funded infrastructure project eX3 (Experimental Infrastructure for Exploration of Exascale Computing), and he is the deliverable manager of the H2020 project Melodic (Multi-cloud Execution-ware for Large-scale Optimised Data-Intensive Computing). His teaching responsibilities include being the course coordinator of IMT2006 Computer Networks and IMT2007 Network Security.
Ernst received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in computer science from the Department of Informatics, University of Oslo, in 2007 and 2014, respectively, both theses focusing on different aspects of resource management in high performance interconnection networks. Previous project related work includes heading the RCN funded project ERAC (Efficient and Robust Architecture for Big Data Clouds), and leading the design, implementation and deployment of the multi-homed IP based research testbed NorNet Core. Ernst also has several years of experience as a system administrator and scientific programmer.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Efficient routing and reconfiguration in virtualized HPC environments with vSwitch-enabled lossless networks. Concurrency and Computation. vol. 31 (2).
- (2018) A Self-Adaptive Network for HPC Clouds: Architecture, Framework, and Implementation. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. vol. 29 (12).
- (2017) A Fault-Tolerant Routing Strategy for K-ary N-direct S-indirect Topologies Based on Intermediate Nodes. Concurrency and Computation. vol. 29 (13).
- (2017) Efficient network isolation and load balancing in multi-tenant HPC clusters. Future generations computer systems. vol. 72.
- (2016) Compact network reconfiguration in fat-trees. Journal of Supercomputing. vol. 72 (12).
- (2015) Efficient and Cost-Effective Hybrid Congestion Control for HPC Interconnection Networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. vol. 26 (1).
- (2015) Towards the InfiniBand SR-IOV vSwitch architecture. Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing. vol. 2015-October.
Part of book/report
- (2019) Mobile Edge as Part of the Multi-Cloud Ecosystem: A Performance Study. Proceedings of the 27th Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing (PDP).
- (2016) A New Fault-Tolerant Routing Methodology for KNS Topologies. 2nd IEEE International Workshop on High-Performance Interconnection Networks in the Exascale and Big-Data Era (HiPINEB).
- (2016) Improvements to the InfiniBand Congestion Control Mechanism. IEEE 24th Annual Symposium on High-Performance Interconnects (HotI).
- (2016) Fast hybrid network reconfiguration for large-scale lossless interconnection networks. 2016 IEEE 15th International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications.
- (2015) A weighted fat-tree routing algorithm for efficient load-balancing in InfiniBand enterprise clusters. Proceedings of 23rd Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed, and Network-Based Processing (PDP 2015).
- (2015) Partition-aware routing to improve network isolation in InfiniBand based multi-tenant clusters. 15th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing, CCGrid 2015, 2015, Shenzhen, 4-7 May 2015.
- (2015) SlimUpdate: Minimal Routing Update for Performance-Based Reconfigurations in Fat-Trees. The 1st IEEE International Workshop on High-Performance Interconnection Networks in the Exascale and Big-Data Era (HiPINEB 2015) held in conjunction with IEEE Cluster 2015.
- (2012) Exploring the Scope of the InfiniBand Congestion Control Mechanism. IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium.
- (2008) Dragon Kill Points: Loot Distribution in Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games. Proceedings of The seventh annual Workshop on Network and Systems Support for Games (NetGames 2008.