Background and activities
Georgios Neokleous completed his PhD in Education at Saint Louis University in 2014, focusing on the use of the mother tongue in EFL classrooms. He currently works as an associate professor of English in the Department of Teacher Education at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, where he works with pre- and in-service EFL teachers and supervises at BA and MA levels. He started his academic career as an EFL/ESL teacher and has extensive experience teaching English in Europe and the United States. He has designed courses that make use of methodology and activities appropriate to the linguistic needs of specific groups. He has published extensively, including peer-reviewed research articles and professional publications for teachers. His research focuses on multilingualism, the use of the mother tongue in EAL classrooms, translanguaging, and literacy.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Dynamic assessment in university-level CLIL: Forging mature L2 writers through mediation. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. vol. 9 (1).
- (2018) Fostering literacy in adolescent EFL classrooms: An overview of techniques and teaching ideas. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. vol. 7 (1).
- (2018) Addressing one of the long-standing controversies in foreign language teaching: Young learners’ perceptions on the use of the mother tongue in EFL classrooms. eκπ@ιδευτικος κύκλος. vol. 6 (3).
- (2018) Investigation into Norwegian Teachers’ Perspectives on the Use of Students' Mother Tongue in the EFL Classroom. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 9 (2).
- (2017) Helping teachers to move from 'English corners' to 'Multilingual corners' in the language classroom. The Teacher Trainer Journal. vol. 31 (3).
- (2017) Closing the Gap: Student Attitudes Toward First Language Use in Monolingual EFL Classrooms. TESOL Journal (TJ). vol. 8 (2).
- (2017) Get it Right from the Start: Giving Attention to Warm-up Activities. TESL Reporter. vol. 50 (1).
- (2016) Towards an understanding of target language use in the EFL classroom: A report from Norway. International Journal for 21st Century Education. vol. 3.
- (2020) Handbook of Research on Cultivating Literacy in Diverse and Multilingual Classrooms. IGI Global. 2020. ISBN 9781799827221.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Creating Space for Dynamic Language Use: Cultivating Literacy Development through Translanguaging Pedagogy in EAL Classrooms. Handbook of Research on Cultivating Literacy in Diverse and Multilingual Classrooms.
- (2019) Interpreting technologically fluent classrooms: digital natives’ attitudes towards the use of technology in primary schools in Norway. Professional development in CALL : a selection of papers.