Background and activities
Name: MYRVOLD Helge Elliot.
Born: November 3rd 1934 in Oslo, Norway.
Family Wife – Ulla Myrvold, born 1937
Children – Ørjan, born 1962
Kristina, born 1964
Ulrik, born 1969
Address (private): Skiringssalveien 38, 3213 Sandefjord, Norway
Address (professional): Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Faculty of Medicine
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine
Postal adr. (professional): IKM / MTFS 3 floor
NO – 7489 Trondheim, Norway
Education and Academic degrees:
1955 Examen artium. Sandefjord. Norway.
1959 Cand. Med. Universität Zürich. Switzerland.
1964 MD. University of Gøteborg. Sweden.
1970 Speciality General Surgery. Sweden.
1976 Medicine Doctor (PhD) University of Gøteborg. Sweden.
1978 Docent University of Gøteborg, Sweden
1982 Professor of Surgery. University of Trondheim. Norway.
1986 Speciality Gastrointestinal Surgery. Norway.
1999 European Board of Coloproctology (EBSQ) Certified
Research and Professional Experience:
1962 - 1965. Research Assistant Department of Pathology. University of Gøteborg. Sweden.
1978 - 1979. Research Fellow. Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
Stony Broke University. NY. USA.
1967 - 1970. Resident. Department of Surgery. Regiona Hospital. Ørebro. Sweden.
1970 - 1980. Resident, Research Assistant and Chief Assistant. Department of Surgery. Sahlgrenska Sjukhuset. University Hospital.
1980 - 1982. Consultant Surgeon. Assistant Professor of Surgery. Department of
Surgery. Sahlgrenska Sjukhuset. Gøteborg. Sweden.
1882 - 2003 Professor of Surgery. Head of Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery.
Department of Surgery. University Hospital. Trondheim. Norway.
2003 – 2004 Professor of Surgery. Research consultant. Consultant surgeon.
2005 - 2011 Professor Emeritus in Surgery. Consultant in Research
Research Supervisor - PhD Degrees:
1980. L.O. Nilsson. The Continent Ileostomy. Clinical and Experimental
Study on the Long-term Effects on Mucosal Morphology, Intestinal Absorption and Sexual Adjustment.
1981. L. Gustafsson. Blood Viscosity in Vivo. An Experimental Study in the
Skeletal Muscle of the Dog.
1981. A. Falk. An Experimental Study on Cardiopulmonary Mechanisms.
1986: B. Ekmark. Volume Capacity, Pressure Characteristics and Expansion
in Situ of Various Types of Intestinal Reservoirs. A Clinical and
2004 Arne Wibe. Rectal cancer treatment in Norway. Standardisation of surgery and quality assurence.
2006 Birger Endreseth " Rectal cancer. Complications and prognosis."
2011 Hans Wasmuth. Ileal Pouches (Dr philos)
Student dissertation for cand. Med.
1999 O Hanbali, ST Tømmerås. Recurrence after Treatment for Crohn's Disease
2004 Marte Dunserud Rua. Parastoamal Hernias
Publications: 184 scientific papers and book chapters and 263 published abstracts, mainly in the field of experimental shock and gastrointestinal surgery
Regional Strategy for Surgical Research Helse-Vest.Bergen 2008. Chairman
Faculty opponent (PhD): University of Lund x 1
University of Bergen x 2,
University of Gothenburg x 2 .
University of Trondheim x 5
Qualification evaluation of applicants for professor in surgery:
University of Bergen, 1984,
University of Oslo (Ullevål), 1985
University of Trondheim, 1986,
University of Oslo (Aker), 1991
University of Oslo (Aker) 1998
University of Trondheim 1998
University of Trondheim, 1999
University of Oslo (SiA), 1999
University of Trondheim, 2000
University of Bergen, 2003
Editorial board: Scandinavian Journal of Surgery
European Surgical Research.
The European Journal of Surgery
Visiting professor: Bergen, Marburg, Østersund, Lille, Paris, Østersund, Singapore
Faculty Board Member, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU: 1984 – 1990
Chairman of research committee, Medical Faculty, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim: 1987 – 1990
Steering committees: Norwegian Gastro-Intestinal Cancer Group - 2004
Norwegian Rectum Cancer Project 2004
The Nordic Gord Study Group
Norwegian FAP (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis) register -2005
Assignments Consultant. Norsk pasientskadeerstatning 2007 - 2009
UEMS Section of Surgery, Division of coloproctology (EBS Coloproctology) : Appointed Norwegian representative 1999 - 2005. Examinator: European Board of Surgical Qualification Coloproctology (IBSQ Coloproctology) (i.e. European speciality in coloproctology) 1999 – 2005
Distinctions. The Norwegian King's Order of Merit in Gold 2002 Kongens fortjenstmedalje i gull)
Membership: Norwegian Surgical Society, Norwegian Society for Gastrointestinal Surgery, Norwegian Thoraco-Laparoscopic Forum, Norwegian Gastrointestinal Society, Scandinavian Surgical Society, European Shock Society, International Society of Surgery, Collegium Internationale Chirurgiae Digestivae, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, European Association of Colorectal Diseases (founding member), European Association for Endoscopic Surgery, European Society for Surgical Research, Groupe de Recherche et d’Etude de la Paroi Abdominale (GREPA). European Hernia Society, International Society for University Colon and Rectal Surgeons.
Honorary membership: Honorary Member of The Spanish Surgical Society 2007
Invited lecturer and chairman: More than 70 congresses and institutions in Norway and abroad.
Hospital committees Væskeutvalget RiT, Instrumentutvalget RiT, Arbeidsgruppe for vurdering av NMR i Trondheim, Representant for RiT i det tidligere fagutvalg for dyrestallen, Medlem av katastrofeutvalget RiT 1992-95, Traumautvalget 1993-95, Arbeidsgruppe kirurgisk antibiotikaprofylakse, Arbeidsgruppe for tromboseprofylakse, Norsk rektum cancer gruppe, Budsjettutvalget DMF 1984-87.
Various Congress of Nordic Surgical Society Trondheim 1987. Head of local committee
President of 4th International Congress of The European Association of Endoscopic Surgery, Trondheim 1996
Establishing laparoscopic surgery in Trondheim 1990
Introducing Total Mesorectel Excision for rectal cancer surgery
in Trondheim 1990
National project in Spain: Initiated a national quality control project for total mesorectal excision
(TME) of rectal cancer.in Spain since 2004 (ongoing) together with
Professor Hector Ortiz, Pamplona and Professor Arne Wibe, Trondheim
Trondheim 19 January 2012
Helge E Myrvold
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Effects of omeprazole or anti-reflux surgery on lower oesophageal sphincter characteristics and oesophageal acid exposure over 10 years. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology. vol. 52 (1).
- (2014) Reduced neurons in the ileum of proctocolectomized rat models. Medical Molecular Morphology. vol. 48 (3).
- (2013) Adenoma Formation and Malignancy After Restorative Proctocolectomy With or Without Mucosectomy in Patients With Familial Adenomatous Polyposis. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. vol. 56 (3).
- (2012) Expression of cyclin D1a and D1b as predictive factors for treatment response in colorectal cancer. British Journal of Cancer. vol. 107 (10).
- (2012) A long comparison between K-pouch and J-pouch.anal anastomosis. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. vol. 55 (5).
- (2011) Conversion of a failed pouch to a continent ileostomy: a controversy. Colorectal Disease.
- (2010) Long-term function after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis : Function does not deteriorate with time. Colorectal Disease. vol. 12 (10).
- (2010) The failed pelvic pouch substituted by continent ileostomy. Colorectal Disease. vol. 12 (7).
- (2010) Resultater fra den norske lyskebrokkstudien. Vitenskapelige forhandlinger / De norske kirurgiske foreninger.
- (2010) Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis and Extraintestinal Manifestations in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis and Ileal Pouch-Anal Anastomosis. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. vol. 14 (7).
- (2009) Durability of ileal pouch-anal anastomosis and continent ileostomy. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. vol. 52 (7).
- (2009) Long-term surgical load in patients with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis. Colorectal Disease. vol. 11 (7).
- (2009) Comparison of outcomes twelve years after antireflux surgery or omeprazole maintenance therapy for reflux esophagitis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. vol. 7 (12).
- (2009) Conservative treatment of parastomal hernias. Hernia. vol. 13.
- (2009) A homozygote splice site PMS2 mutation as cause of Turcot syndrome gives rise to two different abnormal transcripts. Familial Cancer. vol. 8 (3).
- (2008) Continent Ileostomy (Kock pouch) and Ileal Pouch-Anal Anastomosis. Success Rates and Complications. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. vol. 51 (806).
- (2008) The Spanish Cancer Project. Early Results. Colorectal Disease. vol. 10.
- (2008) Conversion of Failed Pelvic Pouch to Continent Ileostomy (Kock Pouch). Colorectal Disease. vol. 10 (2).
- (2008) Det havarerte bekkenreservoar. Kan kontinent ilestomi (Kock reservoir) være løsningen?. Vitenskapelige forhandlinger / De norske kirurgiske foreninger. vol. 84.
- (2007) Surgical load and long-term outcome for patients with Kock continent ileostomy. Colorectal Disease. vol. 9 (8).