Background and activities
I worked at NTNU as an associate professor in European Studies, specialising in the politics and history of modern Europe, in 2015-16. In the fall of 2017 I have come back to teach "European Identity and Culture" in NTNU's European Studies Programme. My research focuses on European and International History, as well as Environmental History in a comparative and transnational perspective.
I am interested in the political and social history of the European Union, its relation with international organizations, social movements and transnational networks, but also issues of democracy, memory and identity and the public sphere in Europe.
Since 2016, I am associate professor at the University of Copenhagen. Before coming to NTNU, I worked as an assistant professor and postdoc at Aarhus University, Denmark, as a Rachel Carson Fellow at the Rachel Carson Center in Munich, as a fellow with the KFG "The Transformative Power of Europe" at Free University Berlin and as a Marie Curie Fellow in Portsmouth, England.
My current research project explores the origins of European environmental policy, with cases studies on bird protection, transnational anti-nuclear protest and the emergence of the polluter pays principle.
I am also a principal investigator and workpackage manager at the University of Copenhagen within the Horizon 2020-funded interdisciplinary collaborative research project HoNESt History of Nuclear Energy and Society (2015-18), http://www.honest.eu. My research focuses on the national case study of the Danish experience and transnational anti-nuclear movements.
Within the History of the European Commission (HistCom III) Project, coordinated at the University of Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, I am responsible for the subproject on Environmental Policy. The project involves an extensive oral history component.
My Teaching at NTNU:
EUR 1001 Introduction to the European Union (Fall 2015)
EUR 2102 European Identities and Culture (Fall 2017)
EUR 2201 Theories of European Integration (Spring 2016)
EUR 3401 European Cultural History (Fall 2015)
EUR 3408 European Security (Fall 2015)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Who Should Pay for Pollution? The OECD, the European Communities and the Emergence of Environmental Policy in the early 1970s. European Review of History. vol. 24 (3).
- (2014) Global Protest Against Nuclear Power. Transfer and Transnational Exchange in the 1970s and 1980s. Historical Social Research. vol. 39 (1).
- (2014) Transnationale Geschichte. Eine Perspektive. Historische Mitteilungen der Ranke-Gesellschaft. vol. 26 (1).
- (2014) 'Where do we go from Wyhl?': Transnational Anti-Nuclear Protest targeting European and International Organisations in the 1970s. Historical Social Research. vol. 39 (1).
- (2017) International Organizations and Environmental Protection. Conservation and Globalization in the 20th Century. Berghahn Books. 2017. ISBN 9781785333620.
- (2013) Societal Actors in European Integration. Polity-Building and Policy-making 1958-1992. Palgrave Macmillan. 2013. ISBN 9781137017659. Palgrave Studies in European Union Politics (0).
- (2010) The European Public Sphere. Media and Transnational Communication in European Integration. Franz Steiner Verlag. 2010. ISBN 9783515096492.
Part of book/report
- (2017) International Organizations and Environmental Protection in the Global Twentieth Century. International Organizations and Environmental Protection. Conservation and Globalization in the 20th Century.
- (2017) Setting Agendas, Building Institutions and Shaping Binding International Commitments. International Organizations and Environmental Protection. Conservation and Globalization in the 20th Century.
- (2017) From Nature to Environment: International Organizations and Environmental Protection before Stockholm. International Organizations and Environmental Protection. Conservation and Globalization in the 20th Century.
- (2017) Making the Polluter Pay: How the European Communities Established Environmental Protection. International Organizations and Environmental Protection. Conservation and Globalization in the 20th Century.