Background and activities
Jan Tro (1948) is Associate Professor at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications.
He has a MSc in Acoustics from NTNU, and also Post Graduate Certificate in education, and Graduate studies both in music and in digital signal processing from NTNU.
Jan Tro is also a freelance musician and composer.
Recent work experience
- 1988- Associate Professor, NTNU, dept of Telecommunications, Acoustics (Music Technology)
- 2012, Spring. Visiting researcher at Music Acoustics Laboratory, ESMAE, Politecnico do Porto, Portugal
- 2011, Fall. Visiting researcher at CIRMMT, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- 2011 Appointed Associate Professor in Interdisciplinary Music Technology by Norwegian Scientific Commission
- 2010 Head of Village “Soundscaping” in NTNU`s Interdisciplinary course (EiT)
- 2009 Invited as Norwegian Board Member in the Int.Organization Com. Forum Acusticum 2011, Ålborg
- 2007 Member of Organizing Committee of 1st Trondheim International Voice Conference (TiVoiCe)
- 2006-2008 Head of Village “Soundscaping) in NTNU`s Interdisciplinary course (EiT)
- 2006 Joint Chairman (with Ass.Prof. C.H. Waadeland) of the 1st Nordic Music Technology Conference (NoMute)
- 2005-2006 Chairman of the Board, NTNU Interdisciplinary Music Technology Education Programs
- 2004-2007 Norwegian Representative in the Management Committee, COST Action G-6: ConGAS
- 2004-2005 Visiting Researcher at Media Innovation Unit, Firenze Technologia, Italy
- 2000- IME Faculty Representative in the NTNU Interdisciplinary Music Technology Program Group, establishing Grunnfag Musikkteknologi (2001), Bachelor Program (2002), Master Program (2004)
Honors and Societies
- 1973 : Award at the Nordic Jazzcomposer Competition, Södertälje, Sweden
- 1975 : Grant from Trondheim Bys Kulturfond 1975
- 1978 - 1980 : Member of the Board of the Norwegian Jazz Federation (NJF)
- 1986 - : Member of the Education Committee, Norwegian Jazz Federation (NJF)
- 1980 - : Member of the Norwegian Society of Chartered Engineers (NIF)
- 1974 - : Member of the Acoustical Society of Norway (NAS)
- 1978 - 1980 : Secretary of the Acoustical Society of Norway (NAS)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2012) The Development of an Online Course in DSP Eartraining. Proceedings of the International Conference on Digital Audio Effects.
- (2012) A multisensory centrifugal neuron in the olfactory pathway of heliothine moths. Journal of Comparative Neurology. vol. 521 (1).
- (1990) MIDI-based analysis of music performance. Studia Musicologica Norvegica.
- (2013) Nancarrow Studies for datastyrt piano og orgel. Nancarrow Studies
- (2013) Nancarrow Studies for datastyrt piano og orgel, Ultima. Nancarrow Studies for datastyrt piano og orgel
- (2010) La steinene tale. Olavfestdagene 2010, Nidarosdomen, Trondheim. 2010.
Part of book/report
- (2013) Sound and vibration in an interdisciplinary context; Some examples from the lab. Recent advances in Integrity-Reliability-Failure.
- (2012) THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN ONLINE COURSE IN DSP EARTRAINING. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects (DAFx12).
- (2007) From Quantitative Empirï to Musical Performology. Experience in Performance Measurements. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Performance Science 2007.
- (2006) NoMute Proceedings; - Abstracts and Manuscripts. 2006. ISBN 978-82-995422-2-7.
- (1999) Proceedings of 2nd COST Workshop on Digital Audio Effects (DAFx99). 1999. ISBN 82-995422-0-0.
- (1997) NTNU, Acoustics Group. 1997.