Background and activities
Jo Røislien (1972) is Adjunct Associate Professor at the Department of Mathematical Sciences. Røislien has an MSc in statistics, and a PhD in geostatistics, both from NTNU. Jo Røislien is a profiled research and science communicator. He developed and hosted the popular science show “Siffer” (“Digits”) on NRK, and was the first ever Norwegian to be a host on Discovery Channel.
Recent Work Experience (academic)
- 2015- Statistical advisor for Norwegian Air Ambulance Foundation (SNLA). 10% position.
- 2014- Associate professor in biostatistics, Department of health sciences, University of Stavanger, Norway. Half position.
- 2011-2013 Senior Researcher at Norwegian Air Ambulance Foundation (SNLA). 15% position.
- 2011-2015 Senior Researcher at Department of Biostatistics, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo (UiO), Norway. One fifth position.
- 2011- Senior Researcher at Senter for Addiction Research (SERAF). One fifth position.
- 2007-2013 Special advisor and researcher at Centre for Morbid Obesity, Sykehuset Vestfold. One fifth position.
- 2010-2012 Senior Researcher at Institute of Public Health (Folkehelseinstituttet). One fifth position.
- 2006-2011 Post.doc at Department of Biostatistics, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo (UiO), Norway.
Recent Work Experience (science communication)
- 2015- Shareholder Bulldozer Film AS (http://www.bulldozerfilm.no/).
- 2015-2016 Producer, scientific advisor, script and presenter for popular science series Biohacking. Production start fall 2015. To air on NRK1 fall 2016.
- 2014-2015 Script and developer of science web series “Sushi og kjernekraft” (“Sushi & nuclear”) with nuclear physicist Sunniva Rose. VGTV spring 2015 and international short film festivals.
- 2014- Director of Development at science TV company Bulldozer Film AS.
- 2013 Presenter and script for popular science series How Do They Do It? With Jo Røislien. Discovery Channel spring 2014.
- 2012-2013 Developer, script and presenter for mathematics edutainment web series Jakten på verdens største tall (Chasing the world’s largest number). Aired on Norway’s largest web TV channel VGTV spring 2013, and selected at national and international film and music festivals.
- 2012 Presenter for Countdown to Collision on Discovery Channel; a TV series about innovations in safety engineering.
- 2012-2014 Creative Director and Chairman of science film company Science Addiction AS.