Background and activities
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Liyuan Xing is currently a full-stack machine learning (ML) engineer in TrønderEnergi Kraft AS who loves making ML products and related research on energy field. Recent projects involve wind production forecasting and better bidding in day ahead market for hydro power. She is also holding an Adjunct Associate Professor position at the Department of Computer Science (IDI), in connection with Norwegian Open AI lab (NAIL), responsible for some research in NorwAI and teaching activities in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
In 2006, Liyuan got a master degree in computer science and technology from Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (GUCAS), Beijing China. In 2013, she was awarded her PhD in Network Media Handling from Q2S Centre of Excellence at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim Norway. From 2015 to 2019, she worked as a post-doc in Visual Computing Laboratory in IDI, NTNU.
Liyuan's main interests are applied artificial intelligence and machine learning. Over the last decades, she has carried out many research projects and developed productions in use in different fields, such as content-based sports video analysis and retrieval, medical image processing, quality assessment of stereoscopic 3D, ultrasonic touchless gesture recognition, visual computing for geobody extraction on seismic data, and most recently time series forecasting for wind production and decision making (e.g. bid generation) under uncertainties.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Seismic attribute benchmarking on instantaneous frequency. Geophysics. vol. 84 (3).
- (2018) A3Mark: Seismic attribute benchmarking. Geophysics. vol. 83 (1).
- (2012) Assessment of Stereoscopic Crosstalk Perception. IEEE transactions on multimedia. vol. 14 (2).
- (2011) Factors impacting quality of experience in stereoscopic images. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 7863.
- (2010) Subjective evaluation of stereoscopic crosstalk perception. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 7744.
- (2009) A framework for flexible summarization of racquet sports video using multiple modalities. Computer Vision and Image Understanding. vol. 113 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Instantaneous Frequency Seismic Attribute Benchmarking. SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2017.
- (2016) A3mark: A publicly available online web service for seismic attribute benchmarking. SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2016.
- (2013) Stereoscopic Quality Datasets under Various Test Conditions. Fifth International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2013).
- (2012) Subjective and Objective Visual Quality Assessment in the Context of Stereoscopic 3D-TV. 3D-TV System with Depth-Image-Based Rendering : Architectures, Techniques and Challenges.
- (2012) Subjective Crosstalk Assessment Methodology for Auto-stereoscopic Displays. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME).
- (2012) Visual contrast sensitivity guided video quality assessment. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME).
- (2011) Objective metrics for quality of experience in stereoscopic images. Proceedings of 2010 IEEE 18th International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP).
- (2011) On the Properties of Mean Opinion Scores for Quality of Experience Management. IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM), 2011.
- (2010) A PERCEPTUAL QUALITY METRIC FOR STEREOSCOPIC CROSSTALK PERCEPTION. Proceedings of 2010 IEEE 17th International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP).
- (2010) A Perceptual quality metric for stereoscopic crosstalk perception. 17th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), 2010, Hong Kong 26-29 Sept. 2010.
- (2010) An Objective Metric for Assessing Quality of Experience on Stereoscopic Images. 2010 IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP).
- (2010) Estimating Quality of Experience on Stereoscopic Images. Intelligent Signal Processing and Communications Systems (ISPACS 2010).
- (2010) Quality of Visual Experience for 3D Presentation - Stereoscopic Image. High-Quality Visual Experience: Creation, Processing and Interactivity of High-Resolution and High-Dimensional Video Signals.