Lucas Omar Muller
Background and activities
I am an Environmental Engineer with a PhD in Computational Modelling, obtained under the supervision of Prof. Eleuterio F. Toro, at the University of Trento, Trento, Italy. During my PhD I have focused on the development of high-order finite-volume type numerical schemes for hyperbolic partial differential equations and on the modelling of human hemodynamics, concentrating on the venous system. During my Postdoc stay at the National Laboratory for Scientific Computing in Petrópolis, Brazil, I continued to work, in collaboration with Prof. Pablo J. Blanco, on the further extension and developement of numerical schemes for hyperbolic PDEs, with a strong focus on how to solve these equations on very extensive networks of one-dimensional domains. Work with Prof. Blanco also includes studies of arterial hemodynamics and parameter identification (in collaboration with Alfonso Caiazzo, Weierstrass institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics, Berlin, Germany). At NTNU, I am a member of the Biomechanics group, lead by Prof. Leif R. Hellevik. I am one of the many researchers involved in a multidisciplinary project that aims to develop novel non-invasive model-based indexes for the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Reduced-Order Unscented Kalman Filter with observations in the Frequency Domain: Application to Computational Hemodynamics. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. vol. 66 (5).
- (2019) Impact of baseline coronary flow and its distribution on Fractional Flow Reserve prediction. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. e3246.
- (2018) A numerical method for junctions in networks of shallow-water channels. Applied Mathematics and Computation. vol. 337.
- (2018) Comparison of 1D and 3D Models for the Estimation of Fractional Flow Reserve. Scientific Reports.
- (2018) Uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis for computational FFR estimation in stable coronary artery disease. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. vol. 9 (4).
- (2018) Bond Graph Model of Cerebral Circulation: Toward Clinically Feasible Systemic Blood Flow Simulations. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Inner-ear circulation in humans is disrupted by extracranial venous outflow strictures: Implications for Ménière’s disease. Veins and lymphatics.
- (2017) Blood pressure gradients in cerebral arteries: a clue to pathogenesis of cerebral small vessel disease. Stroke and Vascular Neurology.
- (2017) Computer-aided quantification of microvascular networks: Application to alterations due to pathological angiogenesis in the hamster. Microvascular Research. vol. 112.
- (2017) Assessment of reduced-order unscented Kalman filter for parameter identification in one-dimensional blood flow models using experimental data. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering.
- (2017) Jugular valve function and petrosal sinuses pressure: a computational model applied to sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Veins and lymphatics. vol. 6 (2).
- (2016) Computational modeling of blood flow steal phenomena caused by subclavian stenoses. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 49.
- (2016) A high-order local time stepping finite volume solver for one-dimensional blood flow simulations: application to the ADAN model. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 32 (10).
- (2016) Consistent treatment of viscoelastic effects at junctions in one-dimensional blood flow models. Journal of Computational Physics. vol. 314.
- (2016) Roadmap for cardiovascular circulation model. Journal of Physiology.
- (2016) An integrated mathematical model of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 32 (1).
- (2015) Computational haemodynamics in stenotic internal jugular veins. Journal of Mathematical Biology. vol. 70.
- (2015) Simulation of one-dimensional blood flow in networks of human vessels using a novel TVD scheme. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering.
- (2015) Impact of CCSVI on cerebral haemodynamics: a mathematical study using MRI angiographic and flow data. Phlebology. vol. 31 (5).
- (2015) A high order approximation of hyperbolic conservation laws in networks: Application to one-dimensional blood flow. Journal of Computational Physics. vol. 300.