Background and activities
PhD student at Excited Center for excellence in education focusing on IT students' study habits in the first year. My research is on how students study and learn, and how they develop good study and learning behavior. An essential aspect of this research is finding good tools to evaluate students' learning trajectories, therefore a lot of my work revolves around finding the good data sources, variables and analytic methods. Currently, I am using both existing data sets to find new information as well as developing innovative ways to evaluate our students' learning.
Besides my research, I have been involved in educational activities and various projects during my time as a PhD student here so far. Here is a summary:
- Coordinator for various introductory programming courses (TDT4110, TDT4109, TDT4127, TDT4105 and TDT4100)
- Responsible for the teaching assistant training at IDI (LAOS)
- Conference chair for Catch IDI, a research conference for all students and staff at IDI
- Representative for temporary scientific staff in the extended leader group
- Member of the Future of PhD programs at the IE faculty
- Member of the Future of technology studies at NTNU
- Involved in the Ada and Idun projects focusing on including more females in the IT and technology fields
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The effect of mandatory assignments on students learning outcome and performance in introductory programming courses. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON. vol. 2020-.
- (2020) First Year Computing Study Behavior: Effects of Educational Design. Conference Proceedings - Frontiers in Education Conference.
- (2020) Unreined Students or Not: Modes of Freedom in a Project-Based Software Engineering Course. Proceedings (Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training).
- (2019) From Studying to Learning Computer Science: A study of the first-year experience of computer science education at university. Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, ITiCSE.
- (2019) Investigating students’ journey through a computer science program using exam data: three new approaches. NIKT: Norsk IKT-konferanse for forskning og utdanning.
- (2019) University students’ learning approaches: An adaptation of the revised two-factor study process questionnaire to Norwegian. Studies in Educational Evaluation. vol. 64.
- (2018) Active learning and student peer assessment in a web development course. NIKT: Norsk IKT-konferanse for forskning og utdanning.
- (2018) First year computer science education in Norway. NOKOBIT - Norsk konferanse for organisasjoners bruk av informasjonsteknologi. vol. 26 (1).
- (2017) The gamified learning environment - pedagogical possibilities and pitfalls. NIKT: Norsk IKT-konferanse for forskning og utdanning.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Informatics study day: helping CS students become better students. ITiCSE 2018: Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education.
- (2020) Online Teaching and Learning: First impressions from educators as NTNU transitions to an online only mode of learning. 2020.
- (2020) Online Teaching and Learning - First impressions from students as NTNU transitions to an online only mode of learning. 2020.
- (2020) Educators’ Experiences Online: How COVID-19 Encouraged Pedagogical Change in CS Education. UDIT Norsk konferanse for utdanning og didaktikk i IT-fagene . NIKT-stiftelsen; Digitalt. 2020-11-24 - 2020-11-25.
- (2020) From teaching assistants to learning assistants – lessons learned from learning assistant training at Excited. Læringsfestivalen 2020 ; 2020-05-04.
- (2020) The Hidden Benefits of the Campus - What the Covid-19 Pandemic Can Teach Us About the Computing Learning Environment. UDIT Norsk konferanse for utdanning og didaktikk i IT-fagene ; 2020-11-24 - 2020-11-25.
- (2019) Motivating and engaging students for peer review as a learning activity. MNT-konferansen 2019 . Nasjonalt fagråd for realfagsrekruttering; Tromsø. 2019-03-28 - 2019-03-29.
- (2019) Lær å lære med Heimdall’s Quest, - en gamifisert undervisningsmetode. Research and Educational Network Meeting ; Oslo. 2019-01-30.
- (2019) First Year Computer Science Study Behavior: Effects of Educational Design. MNT-konferansen 2019 . Nasjonalt senter for realfagsrekturttering; Tromsø. 2019-03-28 - 2019-03-29.
- (2018) Aktivt læringsmiljø med tverrfaglig studiedag - erfaringer fra Informatikk Arbeidsdag. Læringsfestivalen 2018 ; 2018-05-03 - 2018-05-04.
- (2018) Exploring a Student-centered Approach to Innovating Computer Science Education. SIGCSE Technical Symposium 2018 . Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education; Baltimore. 2018-02-20 - 2018-02-24.
- (2018) Informatics study day: helping CS students become better students. 23rd Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education ; Larnaca. 2018-07-02 - 2018-07-04.
- (2018) Using peer educators to create an active learning environment for first-year students. European First Year Experience Conference 2018 ; Utrecht. 2018-06-24 - 3028-06-26.
- (2018) What do we know about learner assessment in technology-rich environments? A systematic review of systematic reviews. The 18th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies . Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay; Mumbai, India. 2018-06-09 - 2018-06-13.
- (2017) Forsknings- og utviklingsarbeid av og med studenter i IT-studier. Norsk Konferanse for Utdanning og Didaktikk i IT-fagene ; 2017-11-27 - 2017-11-29.
- (2017) Informatics study-day: improving the academic and social learning environment among first year computer science students. Norsk Konferanse for Utdanning og Didaktikk i IT-fagene 2017 ; 2017-11-27 - 2017-11-29.