Background and activities
I am Biochemical Engineer, M.Sc. and PhD in Biochemical Engineering. I am currently Post-Doctoral Researcher at Industrial Ecology Programme (IndEcol) in the Department of Energy and Process Engineering (EPT) at NTNU under the supervision of Francesco Cherubini and Anders Arvesen. I am working in the analysis and process simulation for biofuels and energetic systems.
Before this position, I worked as postdoctoral researcher supervised by Olivier Bernard in the French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control (INRIA). In this position I evaluated the environmental sustainability (LCA) and the process design of microalgae production systems, within two projects: ANR Purple Sun Project and Phyto Récolte Project.
For my PhD thesis I worked under the supervision of German Aroca on the topic of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of bioethanol production from Eucalyptus globulus in the Chilean context in the School of Biochemical Engineering (EIB) at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso from Chile.
My main areas of interest are process simulation and life cycle assessment of biologic and energetic processes. I was already involved in the environmental sustainability of dendroenergetic forest systems, gasoline production, lignocellulosic-based bioethanol, bio-hydrogen, microalgae-based biodiesel, microalgae proteins, hot water systems, photovoltaic systems and lignin production. I have worked in research centers and universities in Chile, Spain, Mexico, Colombia and France.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Microalgal lipids: A review of lipids potential and quantification for 95 phytoplankton species. Biomass & Bioenergy. vol. 150.
- (2021) Integrated process simulation for bioethanol production: Effects of varying lignocellulosic feedstocks on technical performance. Bioresource Technology. vol. 328.
- (2020) Electrodialytic Energy Storage System: Permselectivity, Stack Measurements and Life-Cycle Analysis. Energies. vol. 13 (5).
- (2019) Chapter 20 - Life-cycle assessment of microalgal-based biofuel. Biofuels from Algae (Second Edition). 2019. ISBN 978-0-444-64192-2.
- (2019) Optimal integration of microalgae production with photovoltaic panels: environmental impacts and energy balance. Biotechnology for Biofuels. vol. 12 (239).
- (2017) Environmental assessment of hydrogen production based on Pinus Patula plantations in Colombia. Energy. vol. 139.
- (2017) Environmental assessment of the production and addition of bioethanol produced from Eucalyptus globulus to gasoline in Chile. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. vol. 22 (4).
- (2015) Analisis de ciclo de vida, uso de herramientas computacionales. ACV workshop . School of Chemical Eng., National University of Colombia; Manizales. 2015-10-16 - 2015-10-16.
- (2015) Cradle-to-gate life cycle assessment of Eucalyptus globulus short rotation plantations in Chile. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 99.
- (2015) Life cycle assessment of gasoline production and use in Chile. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 505.
- (2015) Life cycle assessment of lignocellulosic bioethanol: Environmental impacts and energy balance. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 42.
- (2014) Introduction to Aspen Plus. Process simulation workshop . University of Santiago de Compostela; Santiago de Compostela. 2014-03-24 - 2014-03-24.
- (2014) Analisis de ciclo de vida y uso de herramientas computacionales. Life Cycle Assessment workshop . School of Biochemical Engineering, PUCV; Valparaíso. 2014-08-11 - 2014-08-14.
- (2013) Process design and sustainability in the production of bioethanol from lignocellulosic materials. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology. vol. 16 (3).
- (2012) Kinetics of the bio-oxidation of volatile reduced sulphur compounds in a biotrickling filter. Bioresource Technology. vol. 118.
- (2012) Analisis de ciclo de vida y uso de herramientas computacionales. IX Curso Latinoamericano de Biotecnología (CLAB) . School of Biochemical Engineering, PUCV; Valparaíso. 2012-07-20 - 2012-08-04.
- (2012) Biofiltration of hydrogen sulfide by Sulfolobus metallicus at high temperatures. Water Science and Technology. vol. 66 (9).
- (2012) Modelling of the biofiltration of reduced sulphur compounds through biotrickling filters connected in series: Effect of H2S. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology. vol. 15 (3).
- (2012) Sensitivity analysis of a model which describes the biofiltration of VRSC compounds. Latin American applied research. vol. 42.
- (2011) Evaluation of the oxidative capacity of Sulfolobus metallicus on hydrogen sulphide. Biotechnology Letters. vol. 33 (11).
- (2010) Oxidation of volatile reduced sulphur compounds in biotrickling filter inoculated with Thiobacillus thioparus. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology. vol. 13 (5).
- (2010) Biofiltración de gases para la eliminación de compuestos olorosos. Bioprocesos: Tecnologías Limpias para la Protección y Sustentabilidad Del Medio Ambiente. 2010. ISBN 978-956-17-0462-6.
- (2010) Effect of the biomass along the biofilter in the modelling of the biofiltration of hydrogen sulphide: Simulation and Experimental validation. Journal of chemical technology and biotechnology (1986). vol. 85 (10).