Background and activities
I am postdoctoral researcher at the Institute for Historical Studies at NTNU since 2015. In 2014, I obtained my PhD from Erasmus University Rotterdam in economic and business history. My thesis was awarded best dissertation of 2014-2015 by the European Business History Association in 2016. The thesis will appear with Routledge in 2017. I hold a BA in history and an MA in Media & Journalism from the Erasmus University. My interests are mainly in business history and transnational history in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, comprising themes such as foreign direct investment, political risk, business and war, the history of the oil industry, and the history of commodity trading.
Currently I am working on the research project The hidden companies of the global economy: the development of international commodity traders, 1945-2015, funded among others by the Norwegian Research Council. My focus is on the history of independent oil trading firms, in particular their origins, evolution and impact on the global flow of oil since the mid-1960s.
See CV for a list of publications.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Commodity Trading Companies in the First Global Economy, 1870-1913. H-Soz-u-Kult (Internet-Forum des H-Net).
- (2017) Review Europeans Globalizing: Mapping, Exploiting, Exchanging by Maria Paula Diogo and Dirk van Laak. EuropeNow.
- (2016) Property, control and room for manoeuvre: Royal Dutch Shell and Nazi Germany, 1933–1945. Business History.
- (2012) Energy Transition and Port-Hinterland relations. The Rotterdam oil port and its transport relations to the West German hinterland, 1950–1975. Jahrbuch für Wirtschaftsgeschichte. vol. 53 (2).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Connecting to Global Oil. The Construction of Oil Pipelines in the Rhine Basin, 1955-1960. The Rhine: A Transnational Economic History.
- (2014) Oil Pipelines, Politics and International Business. The Rotterdam oil port, Royal Dutch Shell and the German hinterland, 1945-1975. 2014.
- (2017) Making Markets: Royal Dutch/Shell and the commoditization of oil, 1974-1986. 21st Annual Congress European Business History Association ; Vienna. 2017-08-24 - 2017-08-26.
- (2017) Petropreneurs: business opportunities in the Rotterdam Oil Port, 1860-2000s. 7th Transnational Rhine Conference ; Düsseldorf. 2017-09-21 - 2017-09-23.
- (2016) Deuss’ demise: an oil trader’s struggle to keep up with the market, 1970s-1990s. Joint Conference Association of Business Historians (ABH) and Gesellschaft für Unternehmensgeschichte (GUG) ; Berlin. 2016-05-27 - 2016-05-28.
- (2016) Ports as trading hubs? Market structure, physical flows and the trading function, 1880s-1980s. American Association of Geographer Annual Meeting ; San Francisco. 2016-03-29 - 2016-04-02.
- (2016) Trading Soviet oil: traders, markets and prices, 1970s-1980s. European Business History Association 20th annual conference / First World Business History Conference ; Bergen. 2016-08-25 - 2016-08-27.
- (2015) The Hidden Companies of the Global Economy. Uncovering the History of Independent Oil Traders. Sixth European Oil and Gas Archives Network conference ; 2015-05-28 - 2015-05-29.
- (2015) Understanding the rise of independent oil traders: looking beyond the controversies, 1960s-2000s. Inaugural Workshop ‘Hidden Companies of the Global Economy’ ; 2015-06-17 - 2015-06-17.