Michael R. Handley Jones
Background and activities
Michael Jones is from 2015 Professor Emeritus. He continues to undertake research in historical geography, landscape studies, history of cartography, and autobiography as an approach to the history of geography. He is a founder member of the Department of Geography, which began in 1975.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Feminist geographies in Norway from the turn of the millennium. Gender, Place & Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography. vol. 26 (7-9).
- (2018) Anne Buttimer's The Practice of Geography: Approaching the history of geography through autobiography. Geografiska Annaler. Series B. Human Geography. vol. 100 (4).
- (2015) Fighting fog - The case of creeping neoliberalism and weakening university democracy in Norway. Krisis: Tijdschrift voor actuele filosofie.
- (2015) Minneord over Jens Christian Hansen. Det Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskab. Årbok. vol. 2014.
- (2015) Minnetale over professor Jens Christian Hansen holdt på møte i Bergen 6. november 2014. Årbok / Det norske videnskaps-akademi. vol. 2014.
- (2013) "I do not know in Scotland a valley so beautiful ...": Samuel Laing's topographical-geographical observations in Central Norway, 1834-1836. Journal of the North Atlantic. vol. Special vol 4.
- (2012) Playing the indigenous card? The Shetland and Orkney Udal Law group and indigenous rights. GeoJournal. vol. 77 (6).
- (2012) Udal law and contested histories of land tenure and landscape in Orkney and Shetland. Latvijas Zinatnu Akademijas Vetis. A Dala. Humanitaras Zinatnes. vol. 66 (3).
- (2012) The teleconference and its implications for geographical knowledge-sharing. Geography. vol. 97.
- (2011) Rhetoric and Reporting of Public Participation in Landscape Policy. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning. vol. 13 (1).
- (2011) European landscape and participation - rhetoric or reality?. Landscape Series. vol. 13.
- (2011) The issue of public participation in the European Landscape Convention. Landscape Series. vol. 13.
- (2011) Benefits, difficulties, and challenges of participation under the European Landscape Convention. Landscape Series. vol. 13.
- (2010) Two fires and two landscapes - a tale of two cities. Fennia. vol. 188 (1).
- (2008) Kartlagt kunnskap, makt og strid. Kartlegging av Slesvig-Holstens landskaper på midten av 1600-tallet. Ymer.
- (2007) The European landscape convention and the question of public participation. Landscape Research. vol. 32 (5).
- (2007) Multiple interfaces of the European Landscape Convention. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 61 (4).
- (2006) Landscape, law and justice - concepts and issues. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 60 (1).
- (2005) Editorial: Landscape and seasonality - seasonal landscapes. Landscape Research. vol. 30 (2).
- (2004) Seasonal landscapes in Northern Europe. Diedut / Sámi instituhtta.