Background and activities
Mohamed Hamdy is an associate professor at NTNU. He has 12 years of experience in research and consulting within building information modeling (BIM) and life cycle cost analysis (LCCA). His specialties are in high-performance buildings, net-zero energy buildings, indoor comfort and cost optimality with a special emphasis on using multi-objective optimization algorithm in the early building design phase. He has developed a novel holistic optimization algorithm for finding cost-optimal environmentally-friendly building solutions among a huge number of possible energy-efficiency measures (EEMs) and renewable energy technologies (RETs). In addition to 40 publications in peer-reviewed international journals, books, and conferences, Mohamed Hamdy has supervised/coached a substantial number of Masters and Ph.D. students. He has also written several research proposals, implementing proposals, and reports. M.Hamdy is an Associate Editor for the Journal ‘’ Frontiers in Built Environment ‘’ and he was an active member of the International Energy Agency (IEA) Task 40 Team: Towards Net Zero Energy Buildings. He is also a reviewer for highly-reputed publishers such as ‘’Energy and Buildings’’ and ‘’Building and Environment’’, and ‘’Journal of Building Performance Simulation’’. Mohamed Hamdy is also senior consultant for ECOGLOBE GmbH, an independent consultancy that helps real-estate developers, architects and engineers make their projects sustainable and cost-effective using advanced building performance optimization algorithms
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Effect Of Grid Tariffs On Demand-side Management In All-electric Buildings In Norway. Building Simulation.
- (2019) An Inverse Modeling Approach for the Thermal Response Modeling of Green Façades. Applied Energy. vol. 235.
- (2019) An inverse modeling approach for the thermal response modeling of green façades. Applied Energy. vol. 235.
- (2018) The Impact of Insulation and HVAC Degradation on Overall Building Energy Performance: A Case Study. Buildings. vol. 8 (2).
- (2017) Twenty-year tracking of lighting savings and power density in the residential sector. Energy and Buildings. vol. 154.
- (2017) Impact of building envelope and mechanical component degradation on the whole building performance: A review paper. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2017) The impact of climate change on the overheating risk in dwellings–A Dutch case study. Building and Environment. vol. 122.
- (2017) Multi-Objective Optimization of Building Energy Design to Reconcile Collective and Private Perspectives: CO2-eq vs. Discounted Payback Time. Energies. vol. 10 (7).
- (2017) Impact of financial assumptions on the cost optimality towards nearly zero energy buildings ? A case study. Energy and Buildings. vol. 153.
- (2017) Influence of chemical damp proof cream on the capillary action and microstructure of mortars. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2016) A performance comparison of multi-objective optimization algorithms for solving nearly-zero-energy-building design problems. Energy and Buildings. vol. 121.
- (2016) A multi-aid optimization scheme for large-scale investigation of cost-optimality and energy performance of buildings. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, Taylor & Francis. vol. 9.
- (2016) Social acceptance of renewable energy technologies for buildings in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area of Finland. Energy and Buildings. vol. 121.
- (2015) A new methodology for investigating the cost-optimality of energy retrofitting a building category. Energy and Buildings.
- (2013) A multi-stage optimization method for cost-optimal and nearly-zero-energy building solutions in line with the EPBD-recast 2010. Energy and Buildings. vol. 56.
- (2013) MOBO a new software for multi-objective building performance optimization. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, Taylor & Francis.
- (2013) Assessing Gaps and Needs for Integrating Building Performance Optimization Tools in Net Zero Energy Buildings Design. Energy and Buildings. vol. 60.
- (2011) Applying a multi-objective optimization approach for design of low-emission cost-effective dwellings. Building and Environment. vol. 46.
- (2011) Impact of adaptive thermal comfort criteria on building energy use and cooling equipment size using a multi-objective optimization scheme. Energy and Buildings. vol. 43 (2067).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Challenges in the Modeling and Simulation of Green Buildings. Handbook of Energy Systems in Green Buildings.