Ole Magnus Theisen
Background and activities
I am Associate Professor of Political Science. My research interests cover political, environmental, and institutional dimensions of collective violence. My focus is on the role of institutions in resolving disputes and containing violence as well as intermediate linkages between climate anomalies and violence, such as the individual support for violence subject to resources shocks and mobility patterns after resource shocks. I am currently involved in projects funded by the European Commission and the Research Council of Norway. I have published in journals such as Climatic Change, Environmental Research Letters, International Security and Journal of Peace Research amongs others.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Ethno-political favouritism in maternal health care service delivery: Micro-level evidence from sub-Saharan Africa, 1981–2014. International Area Studies Review. vol. 23 (1).
- (2017) Trends in place of death: The role of demographic and epidemological shifts in end-of-life care policy. Palliative Medicine. vol. 31 (10).
- (2017) Climate change and violence: insights from political science. Current Climate Change Reports. vol. 3 (4).
- (2016) All about water and land? Resource-related conflicts in East and West Africa revisited. GeoJournal. vol. 83 (1).
- (2015) Climate variability, food production shocks, and violent conflict in Sub-Saharan Africa. Environmental Research Letters. vol. 10:125015 (12).
- (2014) One effect to rule them all? A comment on climate and conflict. Climatic Change. vol. 127 (3-4).
- (2013) Is climate change a driver of armed conflict?. Climatic Change. vol. 117 (3).
- (2012) Climate clashes? Weather variability, land pressure, and organized violence in Kenya, 1989-2004. Journal of Peace Research. vol. 49 (1).
- (2012) Climate wars? Assessing the claim that drought breeds conflict. International Security. vol. 36 (3).
- (2010) Klimakriger? En vurdering av det faglige grunnlaget. Norsk Statsvitenskapelig Tidsskrift. vol. 26 (4).
- (2008) Blood and Soil? Resource Scarcity and Internal Armed Conflict Revisited. Journal of Peace Research. vol. 45 (6).
Part of book/report
- (2018) Climate Change and Conflict: Agriculture, Migration and Institutions. Crisis and Conflict in Agriculture.
- (2017) Resources, the environment, and conflict. Routledge Handbook of Security Studies.
- (2017) Climate change and violence: Reviewing the evidence. States and peoples in conflict: Transformations of conflict studies.
- (2012) On Environmental Change and Armed Conflict. Climate Change, Human Security and Violent Conflict: Challenges for Societal Stability.
- (2012) Climate Change and Armed Conflict. Elgar Handbook of Civil War and Fragile States.
- (2010) Implications of Climate Change for Armed Conflict. Social Dimensions of Climate Change.
- (2010) Resources, the environment and conflict. The Routledge Handbook of Security Studies.
- (2014) Evaluering av SMIL ‐ Styrket Mestring i Livet – et gruppetilbud for barn og ungdom som har foreldre med psykiske‐ og/eller rusrelaterte helseutfordringer. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2014. ISBN 978‐82‐14‐05669‐3.
- (2013) Ett ark til. En undersøkelse av sykehusansattes vurdering av rapportering og dokumenteringsmengde. 2013.