Background and activities
My research focuses on two broad topics: i) socioeconomic vulnerability to natural hazards and climate change and ii) natural resource management in the context of armed civil conflict, peacebuilding and development.
At the moment I am heading the projects From a Curse to Blessing? Transparency and Accountability in Managing High-Value Natural Resource Revenues (TrAcRevenues) and Quantitative Analysis of Community Resilience which is part of the project Climate change and natural hazards: The geography of community resilience in Norway (ClimRes).
I teach quantitative methods, GIS, and climate studies.
For more information about my research interests and publications as well as for my CV, please visit my homepage.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Has the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative been a success? Identifying and evaluating EITI goals. Resources policy. vol. 51 (1).
- (2017) Economic Backwardness and Social Tension. The Scandinavian Journal of Economics. vol. 121 (2).
- (2017) Income and armed civil conflict: An instrumental variables approach. Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy. vol. 23 (4).
- (2016) Engines for Peace? Extractive Industries, Host Countries, and the International Community in Post-Conflict Peacebuilding. Natural Resources. vol. 7 (5).
- (2015) Climate change, natural hazards, and risk perception: the role of proximity and personal experience. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. vol. 20 (4).
- (2015) Illusionary Transparency? Oil Revenues, Information Disclosure, and Transparency. Society & Natural Resources. vol. 28 (11).
- (2014) Demonstrating a new framework for the comparison of environmental impacts from small- and large-scale hydropower and wind power projects. Journal of Environmental Management. vol. 140.
- (2014) Transboundary conservation and militarized interstate disputes. Political Geography. vol. 42.
- (2014) One effect to rule them all? A comment on climate and conflict. Climatic Change. vol. 127 (3-4).
- (2014) Quantifying vulnerability to flooding induced by climate change: The case of Verdal, Norway. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 68 (1).
- (2013) Geographical constraints and educational attainment. Regional Science and Urban Economics. vol. 43 (1).
- (2013) Replicating and Adapting an Index of Social Vulnerability to a New Context: A Comparison Study for Norway. Professional Geographer. vol. 65 (2).
- (2012) Climate-related natural disasters, economic growth, and armed civil conflict. Journal of Peace Research. vol. 49 (1).
- (2012) Building or spoiling peace? Lessons from the management of high-value natural resources. The Environmental Law Reporter. vol. 42 (6).
- (2012) Integrated vulnerability mapping for wards in Mid-Norway. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. vol. 17 (6-7).
- (2011) Social vulnerability assessment for Norway: A quantitative approach. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 65 (1).
- (2011) High-Value Natural Resources: A Blessing or a Curse for Peace?. Sustainable Development Law and Policy. vol. 12 (1).
- (2011) Å bygge fred etter krigen. Dagsavisen.
- (2011) When Peacebuilding Meets the Plan: Natural Resource Governance and Post-Conflict Recovery. The Whitehead Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations. vol. 12.
- (2010) Sårbarheten er både fysisk og sosial. Cicerone.
- (2010) The spoils of nature: Armed civil conflict and rebel access to natural resources. Journal of Peace Research. vol. 47 (1).
- (2009) Geography, Rebel Capability, and the Duration of Civil Conflict. Journal of Conflict Resolution. vol. 53 (4).
- (2009) Deadly combat over natural resources: Gems, petroleum, drugs, and the severity of armed civil conflict. Journal of Conflict Resolution. vol. 53 (1).
- (2007) Fighting over Oil: Introducing a New Dataset. Conflict Management and Peace Science. vol. 24 (3).
- (2005) Conflict Diamonds: A New Dataset. Conflict Management and Peace Science. vol. 22 (3).
- (2005) Accounting for scale: Measuring geography in quantitative studies of civil war. Political Geography.
- (2005) A Diamond Curse? Civil War and a Lootable Resource. Journal of Conflict Resolution. vol. 49 (4).
- (2012) High-Value natural Resources and post-Conflict Peacebuilding. Earthscan Publications Ltd.. 2012. ISBN 9781849712309.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Transparency and natural resource revenue management: empowering the public with information?. Corruption, Natural Resources and Development From Resource Curse to Political Ecology.
- (2016) High-Value Natural Resources and Transparency: Accounting for Revenues and Governance. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics.
- (2014) Valuable natural resources. Routledge Handbook of Civil Wars.
- (2013) Klima i endring - hjem i fare? Holdninger til klimaendringer og naturfare som trussel mot hus og hjem i Norge. Hus, hjem og sted. Geografiske perspektiver på vår samtid.
- (2013) Kartlegging av klimarelatert sårbarhet på lokalt nivå. Eksemplet Verdal. Mot en farligere fremtid? Om klimaendringer, sårbarhet og tilpasning i Norge.
- (2013) Sosial sårbarhet kartlagt for norske kommuner. Mot en farligere fremtid? Om klimaendringer, sårbarhet og tilpasning i Norge.
- (2013) Beregning og kartlegging av steders sårbarhet for flom, skred og storm. Mot en farligere fremtid? Om klimaendringer, sårbarhet og tilpasning i Norge.
- (2012) High-value natural resources: A blessing or a curse for peace?. High-Value natural Resources and post-Conflict Peacebuilding.
- (2012) Horizontal inequality, decentralizing the distribution of natural resources revenues, and peace. High-Value natural Resources and post-Conflict Peacebuilding.
- (2012) Building or spoiling peace? Lessons from the management of the high-value natural resources. High-Value natural Resources and post-Conflict Peacebuilding.
- (2011) Cursed by Resources? High-Value Natural Resources and Armed Civil Conflict. War : an introduction to theories and research on collective violence.
- (2010) From War to Prosperity? Valuable Natural Resources, Armed Civil Conflict, and Peacebuilding. Ending Wars, Consolidating Peace: Economic Perspectives.
- (2010) Hvor sårbare er vi i Trøndelag for flom og skredhendelser?. Forskning Trøndelag 2010.