Background and activities
I am working with simulation and modelling of complex fluids and interfacial phenomena in both flowing and static systems.
Numerical simulations are central where both coarse grained molecular simulation (DPD), and lattice Boltzmann simulations with surfactant have been used. Recently, oil compounds such as asphaltenes, with aggregation and adsorption effects were studied. Another exciting area I have worked on is with surfactant stabilized emulsions in turbulent flow.
My research career began with astrophysics (at the University of Oslo), with the study of turbulent convection and fluid dynamics in the solar interior, and the effects on the dynamics in the solar atmosphere.
Numerical simulations together with observations were used to learn about convection cell dynamics and wave excitation in the solar atmosphere. The heating of the solar corona, the driving of the solar wind, and the internal acoustic oscillations of the Sun is driven partially by such wave dynamics.
The “complex fluid” of the Sun share many parallels with earth-bound fluids, in the sense that it is composed of many interacting species (ions, molecules), and that fliud dynamic processes are very important.
I was fortunate to continue at IFE at Kjeller in 2005 (after two postdocs in Boulder, Colorado), with multi-phase flows (oil/water/gas/sand), and this opened the doors to UL with further exploration of the molecular world.
I was very happy to join Ugelstad Laboratory (UL) in 2012 as an associate professor, after a period of fruitful collaboration in the FACE centre.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Development of electrochemical DPD molecular simulations for oil/water partitioning of organic acids at varying pH. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology.
- (2017) Reduction of the effective shear viscosity in polymer solutions due to crossflow migration in microchannels: Effective viscosity models based on DPD simulations. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 39 (2).
- (2017) DPD Simulation of Surface Wettability Alteration by Added Water-Soluble Surfactant in the Presence of Indigenous Oil-Soluble Surfactant. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 57.
- (2017) A DPD study of asphaltene aggregation: The role of inhibitor and asphaltene structure in diffusion-limited aggregation. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 38 (3).
- (2016) DPD Molecular Simulations of Asphaltene Adsorption on Hydrophilic Substrates: Effects of Polar Groups and Solubility. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 37 (6).
- (2015) Multiphase Flow Research with a Surfactant Lattice Boltzmann Model. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 36 (10).
- (2015) On the interfacial roughness scale in turbulent stratified two-phase flow: 3D lattice Boltzmann numerical simulations with forced turbulence and surfactant. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 69.
- (2015) A Two-Way Coupled Model of Particle-Laden Turbulence. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. vol. 36 (10).
- (2014) A statistical model for the average volume fraction profile through the mixing zone in turbulent stratified gas-liquid flow. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 59.
- (2013) Droplet size distributions in turbulent emulsions: Breakup criteria and surfactant effects from direct numerical simulations. Journal of Chemical Physics. vol. 139 (17).
- (2012) Drift-free kinetic equations for turbulent dispersion. Physical Review E. Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics. vol. 86 (5).
- (2012) Particle transport in a turbulent boundary layer: Non-local closures for particle dispersion tensors accounting for particle-wall interactions. Physics of fluids. vol. 24 (10).
- (2012) Coalescence kinetics in surfactant stabilized emulsions: Evolution equations from direct numerical simulations. Journal of Chemical Physics. vol. 137 (21).
- (2012) A gas entrainment model for hydraulic jumps in near horizontal pipes. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 43.
- (2012) Direct numerical simulation of surfactant-stabilized emulsions Morphology and shear viscosity in starting shear flow. Rheologica Acta. vol. 51 (7).
- (2011) Lattice-Boltzmann simulations of dynamic interfacial tension due to soluble amphiphilic surfactant. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications. vol. 390 (12).
- (2011) Simultaneous entrainment of oil and water droplets in high Reynolds number gas turbulence in horizontal pipe flow. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 37 (10).
- (2010) Derivation and thermodynamics of a lattice Boltzmann model with soluble amphiphilic surfactant. Physical Review E. Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics. vol. 81 (6).
- (2009) A droplet transport model for channel and pipe flow based on particle kinetic theory and a stress-omega turbulence model. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. vol. 35 (7).
- (2014) JCR-7 Symposium 2014 Transaction - Reactive flow during water flooding – from pore2core. 2014.