Sara R. Yazdani
Background and activities
Sara R. Yazdani holds a PhD in art history and media studies from the University of Oslo, Norway. Her fields of research are modern and contemporary art with a particular focus on the relationships between art, media, technologies, theory of the Anthropocene, media ecologies and process philosophy. Her doctoral dissertation Self-Sufficient Images: Art, Media and Ecologies in the Works of Wolfgang Tillmans explores the materiality and autonomy of the photographic works of Wolfgang Tillmans. Her work has been published in Artforum International, Kunstkritikk, art & education, Objektiv, wuxia as well as in a number of journals and books. In September 2019, the abstract for her PhD disseration was high ranked by the Leonardo Abstracts Service (LABS). LABS is an evolving, comprehensive database of thesis abstracts on topics at the intersections between art, science and technology.
Fall 2019: Media analysis (BA), Department of Art and Media Studies, NTNU.
Fall 2019: Environmental Humanities: Menneskets tidsalder? (BA). Department of Art and Media Studies, NTNU.
Yazdani currently teaches media theory and environmental humanities at the Department of Art and Media Studies. She has previously thought art theory, media studies, theory of photography, alternative film and media aesthetics at the University of Oslo.
Yazdani holds a PhD in Art History and Media from the Faculty of Humanities, University of Oslo (2015-19. She is a former co-leader of the research group Media Aesthetics at the University of Oslo. In 2016 she was a Visiting Scholar at Humboldt University, Berlin (invited by professor Wolfgang Ernst). Yazdani is also an art critic and has curated a number of art projects and exhibitions.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Beyond the Individual: “Expanded Sculpture” and the Social at the Academy of Fine Art, Oslo. art&education (artforum and e-flux).
- (2018) Introduction: Cyborgs, the Poetic and Political: Notes on Iranian Cinema. Wuxia.
- (2018) Messy Ecologies. Kunstkritikk International Edition.
- (2018) Photography, Fungi and Social Ontologies: Wolfgang Tillmans’ Neue Welt. Electronic Workshops in Computing (eWiC). vol. British Computer Society: EVA Copenhagen 2018.
- (2018) Sandra Mujinga. Artforum International.
- (2018) Toxic Environments, Sensitivities, and Planetary Times. Mousse Magazine.
- (2017) Karl Larsson. Artforum International.
- (2017) Matias Faldbakken. Artforum International.
- (2016) Digital Flows. Kunstkritikk.no.
- (2016) Benjamin Crotty. Artforum International.
- (2016) Eloquent Materials. Kunstkritikk.no.
- (2016) Wolfgang Tillmans. Artforum International.
- (2015) Art Belongs to Those Who See It. Artforum International.
- (2015) En Taktil Värld. Kunstkritikk.no.
- (2015) Objektets sociala process. Kunstkritikk.no.
- (2015) Organiska Medier. Kunstkritikk.no.
- (2015) New Forms of Life: The Physicality and Poetics of Pictures. Objektiv. Tidskrift for kamerabasert kunst.
- (2014) En konceptuell utopi. Fett.
- (2014) Privata ögonblick: kropp och intimitet i Lina Scheynius fotografier. Objektiv. Tidskrift for kamerabasert kunst.
- (2014) Fra Terror til Overvåking. Vidarforlaget AS. 2014. ISBN 978-82-7990-233-1.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Bodily Transformations: The Work of Marius Engh. New Scandinavian Photography.
- (2014) Oslo, Norge: En samtale med Eivind Lentz. Fra Terror til Overvåking.
- (2019) Self-Sufficient Images: Art, Media and Ecologies in the Works of Wolfgang Tillmans. 2019.
- (2019) The Relevance and Possible Limitations of Media Archaeology for an Understanding of the Digital in Contemporary Media Art. Trial Lecture for PhD Defence . University of Oslo; University of Oslo. 2019-09-12.
- (2016) A Conception of Photography as Media Diagrammatic. Keynote Lecture . Institut für Musikwissenschaft und Medienwissenschaft; Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. 2016-07-06 - 2016-07-06.
- (2014) The Sculptural Body. The Plantation Journal [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] ; 2014-07-01.