Background and activities
Shannon is a creative and strategic thinker working with sustainable approaches to cities and rural areas. She is experienced in mentoring, having held expert advisory roles in private practice and government. Engaged in contemporary debates in place and city making, Shannon incorporates this with theoretical and methodological competence in architecture and planning. She brings to projects and teaching her experience of city and place making strategies, and the sustainable regeneration of centres, corridors and strategic areas. Shannon's passion for built form development involves a work history throughout Scandinavia, Australia, and Middle East.
2007, Master of Urban Design, University of Sydney, Australia
2005, Bachelor Architecture, University of New South Wales, Australia
1996, Bachelor Business, Economics, University Technology Sydney, Australia
Recent Innovation and Knowledge Building Projects
- Smart Circular City Project, competence-building and implementation for local Council and Region.
- Development of Smart City Guidance Package, NTNU in collaboration with European Innovation Partnership on Smart Cities and Communities (EIP-SCC).
- Capacity Building in Sustainability and Environmental Management (CapSEM): Development of teaching material including video scripts for Industry and University Students in India, Nepal, and Uganda.
- Roadmap Integrating Corporate Social Responsibility into EU Member States and Business Practices: RoadCSR.
- Sustainable Innovation & Shared Value Creation in Norwegian Industry (SISVI).
- Network for Green Growth research and project development.
- City Life Connectivity Research Project, citylifelabs.com.au with the Urban Development Institute Australia, University of New South Wales, University of Technology, and Hames Sharley Architects.
Panels - Design Excellence Jury & Panel Expert, 2008-2018
- Provision of urban design and architectural assessment on major buildings and infrastructure proposals.
- Consideration and integration of public, stakeholder and community views on major developments.
- Represent urban design and architectural expertise at public meetings with recommendation to Councils.
Private Sector – Urban Design/ Development
- Provided leadership in urban design and promoted high quality, sustainable design projects.
- Management, coordination and direction of multidisciplinary teams.
- Delivery of community and stakeholder events for development projects.
- Business development and client management.
- Successful implementation of urban and architectural design strategies to resolve development issues.
- Successful incorporation of urban design advise and expertise within the different segments of the development industry including; National Government level, Local Council, Developers.
Government: Australia & Norway
- Leadership and management of inter-agency teams and relationships on urban design projects.
- Inception, planning, design, stakeholder management and contract management of urban design projects.
- Responsible for ensuring strategic direction of major infrastructure & development plans for government.
- Development of planning, urban design policy and design standards.
- Formulation of master plans, development controls and place making.
- Secured state government funding for a number of large planning projects.
- Expanded the understanding, integration and implementation of urban design within government and private sector planning for urban renewal projects within coastal areas.