Background and activities
Shanto Iyengar's teaching and research addresses the role of the news media and mass communication in contemporary politics.
He is the author of several books including Media Politics: A Citizen's Guide (W. W. Norton, 2007), Going Negative: How Political Advertisements Shrink and Polarize the Electorate (Free Press, 1995), Explorations in Political Psychology (Duke University Press, 1993), and News That Matters: Television and American Opinion (University of Chicago Press, 1987).
Iyengar's research has been published by leading journals in political science and communication. He is also a regular contributor to Washingtonpost.com.
He has been an adjunct professor at NTNU since 2011, where he each fall teaches a graduate/research crash course on Media, Opinion and Political Behavior. Iyengar is also the Harry and Norman Chandler Chair in Communication and Professor of Political Science at Stanford University. Iyengar is also a senior fellow (by courtesy) at the Hoover Institution.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Economic and Cultural Drivers of Immigrant Support Worldwide. British Journal of Political Science.
- (2014) Reconsidering ‘virtuous circle’ and ‘media malaise’ theories of the media: An 11-nation study. Journalism - Theory, Practice & Criticism. vol. 15 (7).
- (2014) Sources in the news: A comparative study. Journalism Studies. vol. 15 (4).
- (2013) INTERNATIONAL TV NEWS, FOREIGN AFFAIRS INTEREST AND PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE: A comparative study of foreign news coverage and public opinion in 11 countries. Journalism Studies. vol. 14 (3).
- (2013) Do Attitudes About Immigration Predict Willingness to Admit Individual Immigrants? A Cross-National Test of the Person-Positivity Bias. Public Opinion Quarterly. vol. 77 (3).
- (2013) Auntie Knows Best? Public Broadcasters and Current Affairs Knowledge. British Journal of Political Science. vol. 43 (4).
- (2012) Who is a 'Deserving' Immigrant? An Experimental Study of Norwegian Attitudes. Scandinavian Political Studies. vol. 35 (2).
Part of book/report
- (2012) News Content, Media Consumption, and Current Affairs Knowledge. How media inform democracy. A comparative approach.
- (2012) Does knowledge of hard news go with knowledge of soft news? : a crossnational analysis of the structure of public affairs knowledge. How media inform democracy. A comparative approach.